Week 42, 2023: Development and Testing Updates

v1.16

The device build release will be staggered over the next couple of days starting from 17 Oct up to 30 Oct.

Update 18 Oct: Release start date will be moved forward. Will update once I get a confirmation from the team

The task @Manoj has, of keeping us informed of whatā€™s happenning on the development side, is a thankless one. I think heā€™s doing a good job of giving us frequent, timely updates, even if the updates arenā€™t always what we want to hear. I prefer this, as opposed to no updates from the devs.

17 Likes

Agree. This is dynamic and good transparency. They are moving timeliness as needed and we know immediately.

Frustrating? Sure, but less than not knowing at all.

7 Likes

I see a lot of posts from users frustrated with the week-long delay in the release of v1.16. Imagine the disappointment on our side. Here was a task we had thought was in the final stages, we had initiated the releases. I had put out the ETAs, and we all went to sleep, peacefully. The next morning, when we checked the build servers, we see multiple issues spread across devices. Builds failing due to multiple reasons. When you have about 200+ device builds, we do expect a few to fail - 10 to 15. We now are working on restarting the builds across Q, R, S, T. The one-week delay forces us to push back our other tasks planned, but that was necessary to deliver a stable build. We now plan on starting the release from 24th Oct.

24 Likes

A hard, but correct call.

Thanks to you and the team.

1 Like

Hi @mossroy I believe you are aware that we have held back v1.16 and will be releasing it by next week. This would be too late for your flash-party. The last starlte build with a synced recovery was v1.14 on R
The suggestion from the team is, if you are planning on flashing the starlte use the command line method instead of the Easy Installer and use the v1.14 R build + recovery. User devices will get OTA updated to v1.16 and above when it is released.

3 Likes

@mossroy, https://openandroidinstaller.org/ supports starlte and does support the use of ā€œlocal filesā€. It is thus possible to prepare (and test) needed files in advance.

1 Like

@mossroy I created the issue, using Win. Are you on the same OS on your flash-party? At a local Repair-Cafe, I also help people with flashing /e and Odin/Win has lowered the barrier for many, to get started.

Thanks @Manoj : at least we have an official recommendation, even if the situation is clearly not ideal for us.

starlte device was just an example. For now, we donā€™t have this device to be flashed on Saturday, but weā€™ll have a dreamlte, for which the problem is the same: https://images.ecloud.global/stable/dreamlte/

Ok for the procedure: use manual steps instead of EasyInstaller, and install 1.14 instead of 1.15

@make-nz @aibd : we use linux laptops for the flash-party (but can run Windows 11 in a Virtualbox VM if necessary). Weā€™re quite comfortable with adb/fastboot etc.
But when EasyInstaller is available for the device (and works), we prefer to use it, as it can convince the end-users to try by themselves afterwards.

We can not test in advance, as we donā€™t have the devices: each attendant of the flash-party will bring his own device on D-day

Regarding https://openandroidinstaller.org/, we did not have the occasion to test it.
We might try it at the flash-party.