Week 50 : Development and Testing Updates

v0.20 Testing

• You can track the progress of issues scheduled to be a part of v0.20 here

• Detailed changelog

• The team of volunteer testers is testing the build. We expect to release all versions of the OS in v0.20. Including R

• In case of any changes, I will update in this thread.

Update 17 Dec

• v0.20 Q builds have been released for all users on dev channel

/e/ R rollout

• All devices for week 49 were released last week.

• We are nearing the completion of the /e/ R release cycle. The next two weeks … Week 51 and 52 should close the list of devices as originally planned for addition and upgrade.

Builds that Failed I have moved all the devices that failed to build to Week 52. This is the list of devices that failed to build.

Xiaomi POCO F3 / Redmi K40 / Mi 11X (alioth) , Google Pixel 4a 5G (bramble) , OnePlus One (bacon) , Google Pixel 4 XL (coral) , Google Pixel 4 (flame), OnePlus ‘8T’ (kebab), Google Pixel 5 redfin, OnePlus 9 Pro (lemonadep)

• The team has a solution to resolve these build failures. The solution requires some major changes in the code. Expect the changes may delay the Week 52 release. Will update on the progress of the fixes.
  • Check out the Release plan for /e/ R on new and supported devices

:information_source: Installation Tip for /e/R

Devices with Stock 11 ROM should flash the stock ROM first before flashing /e/ R .
    Pl note this will wipe out your existing data. Take backups if required.
    Manual upgrade is required as the default Updater application does not upgrade the OS and on detecting a different OS tends to block the installation. Read the next section for details

To find your device codename you can run this command in the console of an adb enabled PC with you phone connected via a usb data cable

$ adb shell getprop ro.product.device

• The basic idea behind the supported device list is

• Support maximum devices
    • Support for as long as technically feasible
    • Upgrade to the latest OS where possible
    • Add ROM Maintainers where available

OS OTA Upgrade Testing

• We are conducting a new iteration of testing on devices available internally. Post that will release to all users requiring an upgrade from S9/S9+ Oreo to Q OTA.

Log4j vulnerability issue

A question was put to the development team if it impacts /e/ OS users, services or sites

The response : We do not use any java server apps. The team is rechecking just to make sure.

Will update if there is any change in the status.
To read more about the issue check this external link

This post will be updated through the week

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

21 Likes

@Manoj
Re the /e/ R rollout, do you have an update on the schedule for security (priority), bug fixes and other updates to /e/ R coming and continuing?
The /e/ R 18 build for Xiaomi Poco F1 beryllium hasn’t been updated since 31/8/21.
Thank you,
nrsp

1 Like

OnePlus 9 Pro (lemonadep) is missing on failed builds list.

Thanks added it back.

The security patches, where available from upstream, are automatically added to the code when being built. Any idea what the dates are for patches on the Lineage build for the same device ?

Hello @Manoj

According to LineageOS and although there are more recent builds, the latest update for beryllium with a security bump is “lineage-18.1-20211120-nightly-beryllium-signed”.

So, an update on the schedule for security (priority), bug fixes and other updates to /e/ R coming and continuing would be welcome; /e/ R builds appearing to fall behind is disconcerting and a little worrying.

Thanks! Appreciate your response & input.

nrsp

Thanks for checking this out. Have passed it on to the build team. We will see that the patches are released in v0.20 once it is released after testing

Downloading 0.20 q for my FP2… can’t await it flashing it!
Little question: OTA doesn’t work for the q-branch yet? At least my updater didn’t notify me, I have to update manually from 0.18 q to 0.20 q.

thanks for your work!

OTA should work for all updates. You should receive a notification on the availability of a build. If it is happening across users then it is a bug.

I got OTA update notifications for 0.20-q on a Fairphone 2 running 0.19-q-20211027142973-dev-FP2 and on a Fairphone 3 running 0.19-q-20211027142973-dev-FP3.

1 Like

I’ve also successfully installed 0.20-q (dev) on my Fairphone 3+ this morning. Can anyone point me to a changelog? (if there is one – Manoj’s very first link at the top is a bit tough to serve as a changelog) Just curious. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@urs_lesse if you tap under “updater” on the three dots, you can choose release notes.

@Manoj @AnotherElk sorry, I mixed something up… I was under 0.18 r, and had no notifications about updates… because q is still on 0.18. But I got wrong, and installed now 0.20 q on my phone. So a little downgrading… Confusing. “Android 10 or 11” is clearer for me than q or r. Well, when 0.20 r is out, I will flash my phone again…

2 Likes

Thank you! For those who – like me – prefer to view it on your computer, here’s the link again:

https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/os/releases/-/releases

2 Likes

I regard that as a bug, (actually fault iiuyc) as you should have been told when you took the download that you were going to get a downgrade, and I am sure you would have stopped. Others have seriously harmed their devices by this fault (if I understand you correctly).

There is however some assistance for the hyper wary; after I check the offered Download before I hit Download, in that Updater window today, I could long press on the offered download and copy to clipboard the URL of the download.

Is anyone able to confirm that always works?

Do you mean by the updater? The updater is not involved …

Well @fab has not reconfirmed the issue.
Edit, @AnotherElk I see I was second guessing, @fab’s bigger issue is why:

I was under 0.18 r, and had no notifications about updates… because q is still on 0.18. But I got wrong, and installed now 0.20 q on my phone.

This screenshot shows the issue I thought he was describing, namely “I cannot tell the Android version I am about to install”.

The error is not on the System Updater on the device, it is at a much higher level.

I hope the scrot also shows my tentatively proposed workaround, which I do not know is a “fix for the wary”

This issue, I refer to:

1. Week 46 : Development and Testing Updates - #67 by Archer
  2. Week 46 : Development and Testing Updates - #64 by abi
  3. Week 48 : Development and Testing Updates

The reason we identified for the issue is that some traffic was not redirected to the correct docker image during a maintenance cycle. This unfortunately resulted in the incorrect code being pushed to user devices. Team to work on action to avoid such issues in future.
:information_source: Advise to users impacted by this particular issue: Pl write to helpdesk@e.email with all available details

:astonished: Wow, that’s fast, only 2,5 weeks after 0.19, didn’t expect that :+1:

@aibd I don’t think it’s a bug, as @AnotherElk noticed, it’s completely my fault. My updater didn’t show anything (because I was on the r-branch, which is still on 0.18), but I downloaded and flashed manually the q-branch (0.20) - because I mixed up r and q.
And when I was installing, I even made the mistake to swipe “data” too, so I have to reinstall every single app… Well, new year, new system. I take it positive! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

The issue was addressed by the dev team. That no one updated in the issue is another matter, There was a bit of additional testing done to check the ROM upgrade on S9 from Oreo to Q. Expect to release it for all users in Jan 2022. Will share the updates.

4 Likes