What does Storage Manager do on /e/OS?

In Settings > Storage > Storage manager there is an option to turn on “Storage manager”. Since there is no Google on this phone, does this functionality now work with the /e/ cloud storage instead of Google Drive or Google Photos? Does it work when you self host cloud storage? What are the requirements to make this work?

Even then, there is confusion about what this option actually does.

I see it’s on by default. Am I at least to understand it will not delete anything if it is not backed up?

3 Likes

Yeah, great question!

I have no idea if I should enable this or not with my self-hosted NextCloud.

According to storage manager on my eOS phone (tap hamburger menu to see description): ON will delete photos and videos after 90 days

1 Like

Anyone else have any idea?

use a Googe Account and install Google Photos and the Store Manager might work, otherwise it is without function. Last time I checked the explanation for the setting is insufficient from /e/s perspective. The help text strings come from upstream and are usually just translated. This should read “if you install Google Photos … etc”

1 Like

I think that if we aim to have a device that is independent from Google, using Google Photos is a no-go.

I think it would be great if the /e/OS team could pick this up and make it work with a self-hosted cloud storage solution, along with a nice documentation of how it works.

Then again, even the setting on normal Google Android is unclear, seeing by the above linked Stack Exchange question: (https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/201111/what-does-the-storage-manager-setting-actually-do)

2 Likes

I read that link when you initially posted. I also looked at the code, and it isn’t clear to me how an deletion is picked up, where the state is stored of when a file is recorded as uploaded. It could be the settings are read out by Googles proprietary app, that was my guess 1 comment ago.

1 Like

So I can just switch this thing off without any further complications?

for media, that code does settings only. The mechanism that can delete photos/videos should be inside Google Photos or somewhere else - I can’t find it at that codepath.

You can switch on/off to your liking. Must be general what-'tis-button-do fear :slight_smile:

(adjacent code in storagemanager/ really can uninstall Apps that aren’t used via user selection/confirmation)

Of course! :slight_smile:

Interesting is: on our second phone this setting was already off, probably for a long time. Who did this?

Generally I’m not at all a fan of these inventions to make the user can live easier in his own crap. Microsoft has been a protagonist of that for decades. I also remember the creepy Lotus Notes which deleted important mails after three months and always two days before you needed them. Sooner or later it ends always in data loss. The rule is simple: when I can’t handle my data myself an automatic process can also not do it.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.