Which 8" tablet for /e/OS in 2023?

I am using since many years a Samsung Note 8.0. A device which would tick many of your requirements. There were efforts to get to an official build
Unfortunately the development was abandoned in the meantime. Still the device is working pretty well, unfortunately no further updates. The developer was able to get the sister device Note 10.0 official. My programming skill are not enough to finish the work, but I am happy to support / donate the development

Hi @Tiberius,

Thank you for your answer.
Do you know on which version the tablet was stuck with?
I am trying to make up my mind ā€¦
Thank you

Hi @petefoth,

Related to my question, I was wondering which one would be the best option if I want to use the tablet to surf the web (therefore I guess that, for privacy and security, it would be a good idea to have an Operating System which is quite up to date).

Thank you in advance for your suggestions

Samsung supported the device until KitKat 4.4.2, The developer was able to get the device to work on Android 9 with /e/OS and Android 13 with Lineage OS

1 Like

If you have no need of Google apps or of MicroG, then the unofficial LineageOS build from this thread has just been updated, with up-to-date patches. Without GApps, LineageOS is pretty good in terms of privacy, and better than /e/OS in terms of security, given that /e/OS 1.7 has patches only up to 5 November. But bear in mind that neither /e/OS nor LineageOS are specifically focussed on security like e.g. GrapheneOS.

If you do need MicroG, then I suggest my unofficial Lineage for microG build (which is due an update now thereā€™s a new build of the LOS ROM on which it is built)

Hi @petefoth ,

Thank you for your answer.
I have the feeling I do not need Google apps or MicroG, or, as a first trial, I will try without :slight_smile:

The additional question would be: what it the easiest option for installation / updates?

Thank you in advance

I do all my installation using recovery: usually I use the ā€˜Installā€™ function in TWRP; occasionally I use adb sideload

However I have never actually flashed a ROM on this device. I bought one, but I have never used it :frowning:

I would follow the advice in the XDA ROM thread:

Sorry I canā€™t be more helpful. But I know @MaxO has flashed a ROM on this device. Heā€™s a helpful chap and Iā€™m sure he can advise you how to proceed.

2 Likes

Thank you @petefoth
I will try ā€¦ and bother @MaxO :smiley: when needed

Just read a test about the Nokia T10 (8" Tablet) with good evaluationā€¦ certainly on my wish list for /e/OS

I will be happy to see any good /e/OS tablet ā€¦ so if that is a good candidate, fine for me :slight_smile:

(I really hope that, one day, there will be an announcement in the Murena Storeā€¦)

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.