Which of my devices are best for beginning with /e/OS?

Hello,

I learned of /e/OS earlier today and am pleased someone referred me to this OS. I have two phones that I can install /e/ on but thought it bet to ask which of these might be better to port and begin using /e/ on a daily basis, testing, and development. I own a Nexus 5, a Nexus 6P, and an LG G4. The G4 is clearly in the beta state so I see no reason to reach for this at this time.

Please let me know.

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

2 Likes

I would recommend using the phone you use the least so that you can get a feel for the OS and see if you like it.

1 Like

I think this is the three devices you have.

At first sight the three devices belong to the “end of life group” referred to in the section End of official support for Nougat, Oreo and Pie near the foot of this week’s Week 36, 2022 : Development and Testing Updates

As an over simplified part explanation:

Now that /e/ has dropped Nougat, Oreo and Pie these devices will probably never be mainstream. Maybe unofficial or self builds will materialise? Unknown.

The significance of “beta” in this context probably arose from a group of older devices developed not so long ago but found too difficult to upgrade to Andriod 10. In the interim it was decided by /e/ that Android 10 is to be the lowest supported Android version. (They were sidelined – personal opinion.)

Generally the Google phones are fairly free of proprietary traps and there are many people of various skill levels using custom ROM with Google devices. You might find accessible documentation. On the other hand LG offers a slightly more recent version.

A Samsung S4 is quite a cheap alternative. And fully functional on android R.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.