Xiaomi Redmi 9 AT

HI there!

I’m using /e/ in a Samsung S7 for some years and now I got a new Xiaomi Redmii 9AT and I’d like to know if it’s possible to install /e/.

Don’t know so much about that phone, but as I read in some webs it can be the same ROM that the Redmi 9 Dandelion. Can’t confirm.

At the box it said the product model it’s M2006C3LVG.

Thanks in advance!
Colegota

Seems that there’s a unified tree for Redmi 9A/9A Sport/9AT/9i/10A/10A Sport:

…and Kernel sources:

Last but not least, could you please re-format this request to look like this one ?

Before anyone gets the idea and goes to the trouble of building a custom ROM - install a /e/GSI for a quick sense of achievement.

The bootloader of the Xiaomi Redmi 9AT (dandelion), originally shipped with Android 10, Android 11 also already available, needs to be officially unlocked via a Xiaomi account first. The waiting periods imposed by Xiaomi on the user vary depending on the model.

Even if not absolutely necessary for flashing with GSI, get an [unofficial] TWRP recovery or TWRP fork :arrow_upper_right: Pitch Black recovery :arrow_down_small:

It should be taken into account that the system works with the partitioning system, a so-called Super Partiton | Dynamic Partition, in which the otherwise usual /system and /vendor and /product partitions are combined.

The Redmi ‘9A’ has the architecture A64-AB (also may be called arm32-binder64-ab) starting from Android 10. For safety’s sake, check with Treble Info App whether this also applies to the Xiaomi Redmi ‘9AT’.

If something goes wrong, just reload the stock ROM with :arrow_upper_right: Xiaomi Flash Tool :arrow_down:

:+1: Thank you e-Team for /e/OS GSI

Sorry! Can’t find an Edit button/icon form my first post.

Thanks a lot for your answer. I’m not used to flashing. Well, years ago I’ve installed Cyanogen and LineageOS with step by step instructions, and my actual /e/ was bought with system included here.
But I need some help.

I suppose that you mean to be used with another phone company. Then the phone sholud be yet unlocked.

Any differences between both or recommendation?

Don’t know if it can affect the use of phone with /e/.

Just unboxed it and install Treble Info.
It said I need system-arm32_binder64-ab.img.xz image.
It it’s the one called system-arm-ab.img.xz here?

OK! Thanks!

Houston, we have a problem!

Hi @Colegota, I take it from your questions that not only “some help” is needed. By no means do I want to offend or verbally hurt you, but your question tell me that there is a lack of elementary basic knowledge.

Unlocking the bootloader of a Xiaomi Redmi 9AT is a more complex matter than the simple OEM unlock of the Samsung S7. The ‘FastbootD’ mode is elementarily important for flashing into a Super Partition | Dynamic Partition. Also the difference of the different ‘system images’ must be known.

The /e/ documentation Flash the system image isn’t sufficient to install an e/e/OS GSI on a Xiaomi Redmi 9AT. The smallest operator errors can trigger a bootloop when the system is rebooted, or in the worst case, massively lock up your system.

Please do your research first to minimize possible flash risks. Until then, I advise you not to install the /e/OS GSI I suggested. Thank you for reading.

2 Likes

@Colegota Colegota
Xiaomi Unlock first !

About post editing: no problem, just put a reply in that format.

Unified Android device tree for Redmi 9A/9A Sport/9AT/9i/10A/10A Sport

The Redmi 9A/9A Sport/9AT/9i/10A/10A Sport (codenamed “dandelion”, “dandelion_c3l2”, “dandelion_id2”) are low-end smartphones from Xiaomi.

First appeared on June 30, 2020.

Basic Spec Sheet
SIM Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
Network GSM / HSPA / LTE
CPU Octa-core
Chipset Mediatek Helio G25
GPU PowerVR GE8320
Memory 2/3/4/6 GB RAM
Shipped Android Version Android 10, MIUI 12 / Android 11, MIUI 12.5
Storage 32/64/128 GB, eMMC 5.1
Battery Non-removable Li-Po 5000 mAh battery
Display 720 x 1600 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~269 ppi density)
Camera (Back) 13 MP, f/2.2, (wide), 1.0µm, AF
Camera (Front) 5 MP
WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, Hotspot
Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE
GPS Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS
USB microUSB 2.0, USB On-The-Go

Device picture

dandelion_c3l2

Nice, thanks, hope to see a build soon !

Thanks to you! I will try it. But need some time.

Maybe i’s good an introduction.
I’m using ungoogled systems since CyanogenMod in a Galaxy S (without number).
Now, I need a second phone for work, because I need to install some privative apps, including one by Microsoft, and I don’t want that those apps have any access to other information inside the phone.

So I try to install a new system with /e/, if possible, and a different SIM card in other terminal. Then a friend gives me this Redmi that he don’t use, totally unboxed.

I want to check first if it’s possible to install /e/ there and if I can do it. It seems yes. I’m searching and found some useful links for the help I need and lacks here. I’ll post this links later.

By now, I need to unlock the Xiaomi bootloader, but it requires a Xiaomi account that it’s related to the SIM card/phone number and I have to go a shop to buy a new one.

I’m on it. Step by step. :slight_smile:

I’m also interested in learning to build /e/OS custom ROMs. I can’t get by with the instructions available in the /e/forum. If the information you found is suitable for a beginner as you say, then please link to those guides. Maybe we can learn together and profit from each other?

Here we go:

BEGINNERS

EVERYONE

https://doc.e.foundation/support-topics/build-e/

The dandelion’s Unified Android device tree maintainer - Leinier Cruz Salfran - replyed to our “issue” (= request) @ GH:

I liked what /e/ is trying to achieve and it will be on the top list of my OASP ROMs to build.

Anyway:

I’m currently “trying” to create a device tree that is able of build an AOSP ROM with user build type (production build). I say “trying” because I’m struggling hard with the server part and that’s the reason I haven’t achieve my goal so far.

If anyone can help him, then probably he can help us.

Well, I’ve talking about flash/install GSI ROMs, not to build ones. That’s far away from me.

The doc I miss at /e/ was relating about what to do at phone and when. It just mention what commands to type at command line in PC.

What I’ve found until moment (no much time to search these days):

Complete Guide to Unlocking the Bootloader: Announcement, Troubleshoot and Tips

How to flash a Generic System Image (GSI) on Project Treble supported devices

Also, in Spanish (I’m from Spain)

Cómo desbloquear el bootloader de los móviles Xiaomi para instalar MIUI 13 o cualquier otra ROM

Cómo instalar una imagen GSI genérica en un móvil Android compatible con Treble

Hope it can help other people coming here as me. :slight_smile:

I’ll keep informed here if found more info and progress.

No problem at all! :slight_smile:

Sure, but I’m confused with the information given by the app and the names at /e/ GSI.

At the app, as required image, it saids: Your device requires an image fle called system-arm32_binder64-ab.img.xz
But in Arquitecture saids: your device it’s arm32 but uses binder of 64 bits. It usually means that your device support 64 bits but your software not. In this case use images called ‘binder64’ or ‘a64’.

I supposed that arm in /e/ means 32 bit hardware, not software.

The images at /e/ doc are:

So, the sentence In this case use images called ‘binder64’ or ‘a64’, seems to refer to system-a64-ab.img.xz, but the one ‘Your device requires an image fle called system-arm32_binder64-ab.img.xz’ it’s more relate to system-arm-ab.img.xz.

Can anyone explain me this?

Capture of the app (in Spanish)

Thanks!
Colegota

1 Like

Would also like to see eOS on the device, is there any progress?
The rom would be apparently compatible for several devices.

I’m currently trying to build an unofficial build of /e/ os for this phone. I flashed it and it stucks on the e os boot animation. Not giving up, I’ll try new things during the week because I’m on holidays. I’ll post here for more information :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi guys ! Today, I tried to build eOS multiple times and it seems that eOS is too large for the system partition of our device because I get this error at 99%:

Out of space? Out of inodes? The tree size of /home/mael/e/out/soong/.temp/tmptvSaWD is 1546927104 bytes (1475 MB), with reserved sp
ace of 0 bytes (0 MB).
The max image size for filesystem files is 1467244544 bytes (1399 MB), out of a total partition size of 1490853888 bytes (1421 MB).
20:33:26 ninja failed with: exit status 1

I modified a bit the device tree and the build just finished.

Edit: My device is bricked (maybe due to system img being bigger than the partition). I have access to preloader so I can unbrick it and investigate.

Edit 2: I unbricked my device. I’ll try to build with MINIMAL_APPS env variable to see if the system has a reduced size and can be contained in our system.img image.

Edit 3: I built /e/OS with MINIMAL_APPS on and no error happened but I bricked my device again. I’ll try to build /e/OS R with other device tree and other vendor to see what’s happening.

Edit 4: While downloading source, I flashed /e/ OS 1.10 GSI and it seems that all is working pretty well.

1 Like

thank you :smiley:

where can we download ROM (if possible), thank you