Xiaomi - Redmi Note 8 - ginkgo - Documentation Suggestions

…Enter suggestions to improve documentation in this category. Do not raise bugs or issues here…

If goal is to cover information to the way that even new to custom roms can follow it, then I suggest small changes from the LineageOS wiki, other than that, I think that information is enough:

What I would suggest to change from there, if there will be own device specific page at doc.e.foundation ?

LinageOS wiki has all information needed, but maybe I would highlight that user should update to latest Android 10 based MIUI build available atm, easier than upgrading only fw to phone. Sure that has been said at wiki, but with bit different wordings.

Also that wiki uses LineageOS recovery with step to step using that recovery. It’s not difficult to use those introductions with TWRP (ex. sideload is found at bit different place), but sure for first timer it will be easier to have exactly corresponding step by step quide. With that it sure is need to be decided is TWRP suggested way to go, or is /e/ recovery ready for the device and should it be suggested.

I also would add Redmi Note 8 / 8T to the title like in LineageOS wiki does. Sure Note 8T is actually willow, but it uses same unified ginkgo build (maybe this should be mentioned too), difference afaik is only that Note 8 offers notification led while 8T doesn’t and 8T offers NFC while 8 doesn’t.

Other than that?

Information will device suppport OTA updates and if not, what is recommended way to upgrade.

That’s what comes up to mind quickly thinking

I’m of the same opinion. Team Win displays in its Xiaomi overview:

Xiaomi Redmi note 8/8T (ginkgo/willow)

LOS 17.1 builds for ginkgo work fine on the Redmi Not 8T [‘willow’ aka ginko_willow].

»Mystery« tip: Open Source OrangeFox Recovery Initial R11 build ‘willow’ version. The developers have a great experience in building custom recovery for Xiaomi devices.

1 Like

on the install page https://doc.e.foundation/devices/ginkgo/install

Downloads for the ginkgo

Booting a custom recovery using fastboot

1. Before proceeding ensure you have downloaded the custom recovery from the link given in the Download section above

2. Connect your device to your PC via USB.

3. On the computer, open a command prompt (on Windows) or terminal (on Linux or macOS) window, and type:

adb reboot bootloader

You can also boot into fastboot mode via a key combination:

• With the device powered off, hold Volume Down + Power. Keep holding both buttons until the word “FASTBOOT” appears on the screen, then release.
  1. Once the device is in fastboot mode, verify your PC finds it by typing:
fastboot devices

Tip: If you see no permissions fastboot while on Linux or macOS, try running fastboot as root

Tip: Some devices have buggy USB support while in bootloader mode. If fastboot hangs with no output when using commands such as fastboot getvar … , fastboot boot …, fastboot flash … try a different USB port (preferably a USB Type-A 2.0 one) or a USB hub

1. Temporarily flash a recovery onto your device by typing
fastboot flash boot flashrecovery-e-0.14-q-20210204100104-dev-ginkgo.img

on some devices the below command may be required

fastboot boot flashrecovery-e-0.14-q-20210204100104-dev-ginkgo.img

or

fastboot flash recoveryflashrecovery-e-0.14-q-20210204100104-dev-ginkgo.img
  1. Now reboot into recovery to verify the installation.

Installing /e/ from recovery

1. Before proceeding ensure you have downloaded the /e/OS for your device, from the link given in the Downloads section above

2. If you aren’t already in recovery mode, reboot into recovery mode by typing the below command in the console of an adb enabled PC

adb reboot recovery

Tip: You can also do this manually using the below key combination

• With the device powered off, hold Volume Up + Power. Keep holding both buttons until the “MI” logo appears on the screen, then release.
  1. In recovery Now tap Factory Reset, then Format data / factory reset and continue with the formatting process. This will remove encryption and delete all files stored in the internal storage, as well as format your cache partition (if you have one).

2. Return to the main menu.

3. On the device, select “Apply Update”, then “Apply from ADB” to begin sideload.

4. Sideload the /e/ .zip package.

@manoj, the install doc for Redmi Note 8 / 8T is missing the upgrade part, like this one.

Could some ginkgo owners confirm that it’s the same process, please ?

Actually we have a ROM Maintainer for the ginko
Hi @hpnightowl would the upgrade document be he same as the link shared by @smu44

1 Like

I recently went through the install process based on this guide and here is what I found:

Booting into the stock rom by accident after installing the /e/ recovery wipes the /e/ recovery and replaces it with the default Xiaomi recovery. It would have been helpful to have a warning about that in the guide.

The guide suggests powering off after flashing the /e/ recovery from Fastboot, then booting into /e/ recovery (Point 6 of the "Installing a custom recovery using fastboot" section).

However, attempting to power off by pressing the Power button for 15 seconds while in Fastboot would actually consistently boot straight into MIUI on my device, thus overwriting /e/ recovery, leaving me wondering why I was always greeted by the MIUI recovery again and again.

The solution I found is this: Instead of trying to power off by long pressing the Power button, hold Power + Volume Up while in Fastboot to boot directly into /e/ recovery.