Xperia Z3 Compact dropping calls

It’s running /e/OS. Originally I had installed @petefoth 's unofficial build, which, after several iterations, eventually was picked up by Murena. They then started issuing over-the-air updates for it.

But /e/'s updates only include updates from LOS. They don’t take the changes that have been made by the maintainers of the two unofficial upstream LOS ROMs to the device, kernel and vendor source trees. For example the current working branch (v1-q of /e’s android_device_sony_lilac repo has not pulled/merged code from Flamefire’s upstream repo since March 2022. In that time there have been around 50 commits to the upstream. Similar story in the other repos used to build for this device. If you run /e/'s official build, you will be running device software which is seriously out-dated.

This is a great device, but I would strongly recommend using a custom ROM that gets regular updates of the device and kernel code. You can find several in the XDA ‘Compact ROMs, Kernels, Recoveries’ thread for the device

2 Likes

But then you give up all the degoogling that /e/ has accomplished, no?

Without diverging too far off-topic, I have to say that excising all the connections to Google servers is the most important feature that keeps me on /e/OS. I know I might be living dangerously. :slight_smile: But yeah, eventually I’ll probably have to switch to a different /e/ device.

There are very few connections to Google in LOS (without GApps, with microG) and fewer in IodéOS. I’ll put up with the few there are for the sake of up-to-date device and kernel trees, and no unnecessarily forked apps, buggy app stores, or poorly-tested Advanced Privacy functions that break other apps :wink:

You were right. Even with Android 11 there is no VoLTE option.

The Lineage instructions for both the Z3 Compact and the XZ2 Compact say

Warning: Make sure that you can send and receive SMS and place and receive calls (also via WiFi and LTE, if available), otherwise it won’t work on LineageOS either! Additionally, some devices require that VoLTE/VoWiFi be utilized once on stock to provision IMS.

Are they saying that when I get the phone I have to set it up with Google and make a call before I root it?

The way I read that is, before installing LineageOS, first make sure the phone works with the carrier (because LineageOS can’t fix that if it doesn’t), and complete some calls and SMS on stock Android (i.e. the OEM’s build), over both WiFi and (Voice over) LTE, in order to force IMS provisioning for those types of communications to be installed in the (firmware?).

But obviously if the OEM never certified the device for VoLTE with that carrier, it won’t have any effect on the lack of VoLTE, then or in the future, even with the custom ROM.

There’s absolutely no need to set it up with Google. Just don’t sign into, or create, a Google account when you set up the phone.

And to clarify, unlocking the bootloader to install a custom ROM is not the same as rooting the device. (In case it’s not clear.)

When I said that, I meant to let Google know that my SIM card is associated with this IMEI and MAC address, because they are spying on everything that is done to a phone that has their OS.

1 Like

I’ve never created a Google account, and their apps (and Facebook’s) were always the first things I disabled on my Androids.

But we all know from running tracker blocking apps that connections to Google’s servers are happening in the background anyway. And /e/OS has replaced most of those calls with more privacy-friendly options, which is why I love it.

This topic was automatically closed after 179 days. New replies are no longer allowed.