2021 /e/ privacy survey

Dear /e/-users and participants on this forum,

The 2021 /e/ survey about privacy is here! Thank you for contributing to this endeavor by sharing your input and concerns on these topics.

Its purpose is to get a clearer understanding of how much people know about privacy and related issues on their mobile phones and what they find important in that respect.

This survey is part of an ongoing /e/ project to develop a ‘Privacy Central’ app: a central point on your phone for privacy analyses and settings. The project is funded by the Dutch SIDN fund.

Your feedback is crucial in helping us develop an app tailored to our users’ needs, so please fill it out!

Thank you all in advance for your support!

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

4 Likes

Well done, @Rik. I remember when you asked for suggestions. I waa a little skeptical, but now I really appreciate the format you choose: gathering and giving informations

3 Likes

thanks! I appreciate it

@Rik congratulations.
Tell me, is the survey meant to understand better the /e/community only or is the questionnaire later being pushed out via e’s Twitter & co channels?

it is for all mobile phone users

I couldn’t help but notice a constant bias towards /e/ through the questionnaire. This is understandable up to a point because it’s clear who’s behind this survey but someone who’s unaware of the project might get a very wrong idea about it. I wish it had been more generalized to get a better picture of the understanding people have about privacy and smartphone ecosystem.

Another problem I find with some of the questions is that people may not be aware of what they want from a privacy perspective. There’s a very generalized feeling of powerlessness which I’ve seen many times used as an excuse to not care about this issue at all. Suggesting improvements at the OS level or better support for PWA might be missing the intended audience of /e/ completely.

On the bright side I really like the formatting where each question is properly answered afterwards providing immediate feedback. I’m sure a lot of people might get surprised with the answers, and it’ll provoke some curious minds to ask more and better questions.

Overall, I think this is going to yield some interesting results and I can’t wait to see them. Nice work Rik!

4 Likes

thanks for the feedback @PNJ88_Beast , we’ll keep it in mind for the next one!