2FA apps - Safe and/or useful ? Your opinion

Hi all,

I looked on the Forum and so far, I did not find anything on that subject :man_shrugging:t2:.

What 2FA app would you use and what aspect would you look at when choosing such app ? Is there privacy or security factors to take into account ? Is it always safe to use such app ? I’m not familiar with 2FA but I’m considering it for account security aspects because I suppose using such app is better than just a password to log…

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

1 Like

If I understand correctly, you are discussing apps that generate one-time-passwords for 2FA.

In that case, I use FreeOTP+
Reasons for me are

• compatibility, incl. import/export from/to other OTP apps I (have to) use professionally
  • FOSS
2 Likes

Hi,

You’re right, m ypost wasn’t clear enough. I was talking about apps that generate one-time-passwords for 2FA.

Thanks for your kind answer :+1:

1 Like

I could also recommend Aegis which is a FOSS 2FA application available on the F-Droid store (and /e/ OS store as well).

3 Likes

This would have been my second choice.
Although I have no personal experience using it.

1 Like

Personally, also good experience with Aegis.

1 Like

I was using Authenticator Pro, which is FOSS, but now I use OTP Manager (also FOSS) with my NextCloud.

1 Like

I’m using andOTP. Easy to use and FOSS.

BTW, I find it rather disappointing how few websites offer this as an option. Text messages are clearly still the norm when it comes to 2FA.

1 Like

@gefri @helicase @MRTN @Saijin_Naib thanks all for taking the time to answer my newbie question :pray:. This is exactly how and why this community grows and get knowledge ! Thanks a lot !!!

2 Likes

I use Proton Pass. It’s available for all platforms and also as a browser add-in. Together with the other Proton products (VPN, Mail, Calendar, Drive).

However, I can’t say what restrictions the free version would have, as I have an Unlimited account.

I do have an unlimited account as well and didn’t know Proton Pass offered this feature. I will have a look then, as I really appreciate this Protin environment

1 Like

In that case you can follow this guide :

# How to use 2FA in Proton Pass

1 Like

I use AndOTP more as a database of codes but I use Keepass2Android for autofilling. Plus it also can create codes, too (manual or QR code scanning).

2 Likes

I use

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/dev.msfjarvis.aps/

But I already use https://www.passwordstore.org/ As it uses ssh+git+gpg it’s not the easiest beginner password manager.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.