2FA Google with Gigaset 290 not working - /e/OS 1.20

Let’s say that on my laptop, I want to connect to my Google/Gmail account.
As the 2FA is enabled, Google is saying “please click on the push notification on your Google Pixel 2”.

• I don’t see this notification.
  • I have a Gigaset GS290.

Is there a way to enable such notifications ? As far as I understand, it may be related with MicroG app.
The workaround for the moment is to ask for “another method” which will send me a SMS with a 6-character code to enter.

Setup

• Gigaset GS290.
  • /e/OS 1.20.

I don’t think microG supports the google device 2FA notifications, my guess is that it relies on nested google services beyond the scope of microG at present.

What you need to do is login to Google in a browser and go to account settings and find the security section where it lists your current 2FA options (sorry not looking at it now you may have to dig around a bit). You should add the Google Authenticator option (and also create backup codes to store in bitwarden or keepass or other password manager). On your phone you can install Aegis or another open source authenticator app to use as the client to connect to Google Authenticator, no need for the google app.

Once that is set up, when prompted to authenticate with google when logging in, wait and choose “login another way” and select Authenticator. Then you can use the code from Aegis. I was able to do this just yesterday, it should work. But possibly if you have a corporate g suite account instead of a personal gmail account there may be additional checks that prevent it from working. I intend to test this in the near future but don’t need this myself.

Thanks for the tip @rikshaw
I’ve never thought about Aegis…

It solved my issue. I’ll close this topic.

1 Like