A detailed review of /e/OS

A detailed review of /e/OS in Wired

The writer has been on /e/OS for the past six months :slight_smile:

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/OS the deGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

18 Likes

Great review, and I agree with most of what he says. Been using /e/OS for almost five years, installed it myself on my then new FP3, and I have never had any serious issues with it, my phone still is super fast and battery lasts 48h. I love this OS and I thank you guys so much for all your hard work.

7 Likes

This is really a nice and honest article. Fully share its observations.

But isn’t LineageOS also microG?

No, there are versions with microg. Lineage contributors didn’t like some parts of microg that is why it is separate.

2 Likes
12 Likes

OK thanks for the information mihi and MRTN. Now I what the understand what the writer means.

If you haven’t guessed I skipped Lineage and when right to eOS, in fact I would not carry a phone until I found eOS.

1 Like

Good read!

And yeah I agree with the writer, aside from the privacy issues, the user experience on standard Android is atrocious. You don’t realize how bad it is until you ditch it and remember what it’s like to not have a phone that uses you more than you use it.

I love my murena phone. People often talk like you have to make all these sacrifices to have a de-googled phone. To me, it’s the opposite. Sure, there are some features that you have to do without, but the rest of the experience is far and away better imo.

7 Likes

Accurate review. I’m very happy with eOS myself. Greatest OS ever and I’ve tried the big 2.

2 Likes

I think it’s as much the infrastructure as the phone itself. The Murena services are unique to /e/OS, and they fill a lot of the gaps that make a degoogled phone viable. The absence of replacements for Google services, in my opinion, is what makes using Lineage or Graphene feel so much more limiting.

By having a solution for the most common cloud services like email and photo sync and calendar sharing, the transition is much easier.

2 Likes

it’s a good review that draws a bigger picture too, but the author is already well informed before going into using /e/OS, something that will not apply to the majority of new users. He was using LinegeOS for a long time and wasn’t tied deeply into Google services. I favor regular user reviews - and their rite-of-passage you see reflected in forum questions - much more.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 15 days. New replies are no longer allowed.