A Future Where Everything Becomes a Computer Is as Creepy as You Feared

1 Like

It’s not just appliances that are turning “smart.” They’re also starting to do it with the things we ingest. One of the primary medications for schizophrenia now comes in a smart/digital pill form, where the medication has the ability to notify a remote person whether or not the patient has taken it.

I had a good laugh over the fact that a schizophrenia medication was designed to communicate remotely regarding a patient’s “compliance” with their drug. Because, you know, treating a mental illness where the person suffers from delusions of persecution and surveillance should totally be handled in a way that would increase their paranoia.

https://www.fda.gov/newsevents/newsroom/pressannouncements/ucm584933.htm

1 Like

Sad, but that is way the future will shape up. Just two decades back, pagers were everywhere. Now it is the smartphone which is an integral part of our existence. On one side we can thank science for extending human life and curing diseases while on the other side I have become an addict to technology. I cannot remember when was the last time I did not touch my phone or go online for a whole day! Guess it can only get worse from here… Eventually we will have to find a balance…