A native password manager from murena?

Hello
I would like to know if e/os plans to have its own password manager one day.

I don’t think it’s very welcoming for beginners to have to install a third party app like NCPasswords from the store.

I currently use NC PASSWORDS by Hegocre, it works well but for security I would have preferred it to be a murena certified application.

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

This exists https://murena.io/apps/passwords/#/folders

1 Like

Well… not so much out of the box…

1 Like

Same result for me, ironically…Even in the case it were working well, we would still need a third party app on the phone to access it isn’t it? At the moment there is no specific /e/OS app for it.

I mean an android app from murena.
Without having to trust another app…

Why reinvent the wheel and spend ressources when there’s trustworthy (imho) options available out there? …like e.g. KeePassDX

2 Likes

NC Passwords is open source and available on F-Droid. If you want you can check the code to make sure it’s not exfiltrating data.

https://gitlab.com/joleaf/nc-passwords-app

Much like the notes app, all /e/ will likely do is fork an existing app and rebadge it. There’s nothing inherently more secure or private about doing that.

In fact, as apps from the provider require you to wait for an os update to fix issues you might end up in more situations like we have with the webview.

6 Likes

KeePassDX is fine, but there is room for improvement.
I’m not a fan of Apple stuff, but what is really nice is that they’ve got password management integrated.
So if you have e.g. the password for a website saved in the password manager, then when you open that website you’ll be asked if you want to authenticate with the corresponding credentials. Just have to authenticate with whatever you setup (pin, finger print etc.) and you’re good to go.

With KeePassDX, there are some ways to achieve something similar (via a dedicated keyboard), but it’s a bit less convenient than a properly integrated solution. It’s very usable, but there is ways to improve.

In the end, they could take that as a basis and tweak it such that it works more seemlessly compared to the normal version. After all it is open source.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.