A newbie who wants to build /e/ Pie, possible?

It’s no problem. Kill docker and start again. Build directory and ccache should be available and new build will be much faster

:see_no_evil: Well the odds the build will finish is rising :wink:

2 Likes

Oh the process is still running in background, the log file tells I’m now at 96 % !
PS : I love this world

1 Like

Yes, docker is running til you kill it. That’s what I hate on docker. I want stop it with CTRL+C as everything in terminal.

Oh my God… I increased the size of the hard drive but I didn’t change the primary partition’s size. I’m now at 0 byte available… That’s a stupid thing.

Next chapter in one or two or three days, I think I have to reinstall everything (with the good size). Before that I will continue to search how to resize the primary partition without reinstallation, in case I can.

Are you using the home/user folders for the build. That should give you a lot of space.
I use 16 GB of RAM and a 1 TB HDD with almost 70% empty space to build.
A build will need at least 200+ GB space
It still used to take 3 -4 hours to complete a build.

1 Like

No I’m using /srv/e as the documentation says.

I will create a new VM with 250 GiB of storage (and 4 GiB of RAM). I can hardly do more.

1 Like

It will not build on 4 GB RAM. Minimum is 8 GB ideal more than that :frowning: (check recommendations here) .
Why do you not try these cloud based options.

3 Likes

After a fresh install and 22h of total work, it failed at 99% [87401/87421]. I have never been so close, I was writing a success post when I saw the devastating Failed line :yum:

I’m not sure if this is directly due to the lack of RAM or something a little more technical but I think I can deal with the following error without help : java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space.

https://del.dog/a5y17lte-fail4-build
https://del.dog/a5y17lte-fail4-repo
https://del.dog/a5y17lte-fail4-terminal.txt

The good news is that the build process will only take 4h30 for the second try.

I can’t help thinking it’s possible.

Because I don’t want to enter my credit card even if it won’t take money. It’s only if I really can’t manage to make it work with my computer.
Another option would be to install Debian LXQt in dual boot, this way it would use 6 GB of RAM instead of 4 GB. But I prefer not to do this, that’s why I keep trying with a VM. I will also see if I can add 250 MB of RAM to the VM without making everything worse.

There are a lot of solutions for that in web https://www.qwant.com/?q=out%20of%20Java%20heap%20space&t=web

Buy the way, 99% is a good result, but there are still 19 line to work. A lot of builds are failing at last 2 lines to do because system img will be to large (out of memory error)

Why don’t use the old fashioned way ? [HOWTO] build eOS in old fashioned way with breakfast -- now with interactive script

I have build my first roms in that way on an old i386 with 4 GB ram. It has needed a looooong time, but it was OK And this way is starting after a fail at that point where it fails and not at the beginning as docker do.

You have all sources available so you can start direct with

source build/envsetup.sh

After an advanced/clean defragmentation/verification of you Hard-Drive, you could manage a reduction of your windows primary partition space according to install Linux in dual-boot.

1 Like

it doesn t really start at new point for me i had issues where i forgot a patch, so i stopped the docker thingy applied it and it resumed but that was only lately…at least the part that was done before the stopping went super fast…

yes, that’s right, because YOU have stopped the docker run. If the build fails, docker will clean :frowning:

[Sat May 9 07:23:30 UTC 2020] Failed build for a5y17lte

[Sat May 9 07:23:30 UTC 2020] Finishing build for a5y17lte
[Sat May 9 07:23:30 UTC 2020] Cleaning source dir for device a5y17lte

07:31:06 Entire build directory removed.

1 Like

Ah yes that may be the difference :smiley: forgot about it :sweat_smile:

1 Like

That’s it ! The newbie (maybe not anymore) has succeeded thanks to the script provided by Harvey :slight_smile:

I will now work on a howto, and try to make it THE ultimate howto to build /e/, especially for newbie, based on what is available on this forum. Could be released in 2 weeks, or 1 month, I don’t know.

Thank you everyone, I didn’t think I would get so much help when I wrote this topic :wink:

5 Likes

Glad it finally worked, now does it boot as well? :slight_smile:

Perfectly well, everything seems to be working :smiley:
Will publish it tomorrow after more testing.

1 Like

That’s so good :grin:

Yesss!!!
I have been following this thread avidly, trying to learn as much as possible… This is really good.
Thanks everyone. Even though I didn’t do any work it’s really encouraging to see you @Anonyme working so hard and @harvey186 and @Chimpthepimp helping with all the tips!!!
Nice work guys! :+1: :+1:

2 Likes