Advised Backup soft?

Hi there,

I have been a happy user of /e/ os since September and I must say things are running smoothly…
… apart from a few glitches which tend to accumulate, for instance I have now 6 signal icons I cannot get rid of, email - k9 does not seem to sync with Gmail anymore etc.

So I am considering simply reinstalling everything from scratch.
Is anyone aware of some backup software which would ease the pain?

Thanks a lot in advance for any answer and thumb up to the devs!
Guillaume

1 Like

try Oandbackup from f-droid. It works good if your device is rooted.

2 Likes

Will try this straight away.
thanks for the advice!
Guillaume

If you like an answer you can mark it via the :yellow_heart: in the bottom of the answer :wink:

me too… i’m searching an app

Look at the configuration I figured out trying to achieve scheduled and fully automated backup of SMS, contacts, calendars, apps and internal storage directly to my desktop without any server in the middle:

• Syncthing — it is the basis for everything. By default, it can only synchronize your internal storage.
  • DecSync CC — this application should create an accessible folder with your contacts and calendars, so Syncthing can handle it. Not sure if it works.
  • SMS Gate — provides an option to create an automatically updated local backup of your SMS archive, ready for Syncthing.
  • oandbackup — popular open-source tool to backup installed applications and/or apps’ data.

At least it seems to be fuller than everything that was proposed earlier on this forum, isn’t it?

1 Like

Also seems possible to replace the last three apps with all-in-one solution named Super Backup Pro from Goolag Store. It’s not open-source, but this paid version contain no third-party trackers, and it has been maintained by developer for almost decade.

Don’t know if anyone reads this, but an alternative to SMS Gate has just appeared in F-Droid. It’s called Epistolaire.

Alas, Epistolaire backups cannot be restored, according to its description.
README

1 Like

The most promising solution to the backup problem seems to be SeedVault but it would have to be build into /e/ and can’t be installed as an app.

3 Likes

Do you know if it can backup automatically? If so, it would be great to send your link to all major ROM developers - maybe some of them integrate SeedVault by default.

1 Like

Would be good to have a good backup solution for /e/ users as well…had created a topic for this here

1 Like

Oh, and by the way, SMS Backup+ is still alive and provides up-to-date BETA release, if anyone doubted it.

I thought it was about migration, not about backup.

Updated the topic to include Backup…

I didn’t try it but calyxOS seems to have it integrated and ticked the box “Automatic regular background backups without user interaction”.

1 Like

Say, for those that use or want to use oandbackup but are kind of put off because it only backs up to internal storage, that might not be entirely true. See my post on github and see if backing up to external storage works for you. It does for me.

Let’s actually make it happen!
IMHO it makes perfect sense as a privacy feature to be integrated into /e/.
Just see how awesome it looks:

https://twitter.com/t_grote/status/1175070283247628291
https://twitter.com/t_grote/status/1174022555612647426 (disabled link, because of silly new user restriction of Discourse)

So I’ve opened an issue about this:
https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues/1224

(You can at least upvote it to show your support for that.)

6 Likes

Another addition, in case not noticed. Oandbackup has a fork called OAndBackupX which aims to address the shortcomings of the original. New UI, better compatibility with modern Android, etc.
It’s also available via F-Droid if you have the IzzyOnDroid repo added.

5 Likes

Does anyone know what the “application settings” synchronization category of the /e/ account stands for? Does it actually synchronize application data to the /e/ cloud, and how can it be restored?

Welcome in the forum :slight_smile:

For now apps data aren’t sync so it’s something else.