Aegis Authenticator backups to Cloud

I have just started using Aegis Authenticator, I see a setting to allow the app to backup the vault to ‘Android Cloud’ - I presume this is any Cloud Service - not just a Google provided service, could it be sent to my murena cloud account ?? or am I barking up the wrong tree and misunderstand this feature.

As an aside - and in the interim, I understand Aegis encrypts its backups, so that could simply be copied off the phone and stored somewhere, without concern.

I usually transfer files by Bluetooth to my laptop, but I cannot see the ‘Bluetooth’ option when I go to share the JSON file, I can email it, or even whatsapp it… Curios, I have checked Bluetooth can send images to my laptopn just prior, but why not the JSON. ?

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/OS the deGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

“Android Cloud” here describes allowing the backup system of Android to pick up files at all - not a lucky name - it can be used by any backup App and with the help of Seedvault be written to non-cloudy things like SD cards (author even mentioned it). The commit describes it well, but I’ll quote the setting descriptions for non users:

The JSON share behaviour of yours is mentioned here, but heads clashed so that didn’t go anywhere

1 Like

Thanks, so this ability to automatically export the JSON Vault to the cloud has been added to the Aegis App.

Presume it works via ‘Androids Cloud Backup system’, which if I am correct can perform backups to any cloud service of your choice, when used with a ‘backup app’.

Does e/OS come with a backup app installed ?, how does it backup currently to my Murena account

If not are there any guides on how to acheive this ? and Where do I find the details to login to the Murena server for the Murena cloud.

Does e/OS come with a backup app installed ?

it does, but it’s hidden (in some versions?) last I checked - and outdated. It should be slated for a comeback sometime this year according to the roadmap though. For Aegis specifically, the outdated version will do its job still once you activate vault encryption, this is what allowBackup=true is about. If you’ve setup the full nextcloud client you can have remote backups of Aegis.