After migrating to /e/OS, it's time to do some clean-up! 🧹

Here are a few suggestions to clean-up your digital footprint:

Redact can delete all your posts and/or comments on social networks such as facebook, instagram, twitter, linkedin and more… it can be very usefull especially on these ephemeral and instantaneous platforms.

You can preview what will be deleted and select what you don’t want to delete.
Do you think it is usefull to keep your posts and comments older than 2 years? if your answer is no, just click here:
https://redact.dev/

Justdeleteme gives you the shortcut to the place where you can delete your account on the most popular website like GAFAM+ adobe, avast…
https://backgroundchecks.org/justdeleteme/

Incogni does the job for you :slight_smile: but it’s obviously not free, you can find some coupons on internet to reduce the price :slight_smile:
https://incogni.com/

this page where you can check if Facebook has your mobile/landline phone number or email address - and if so then request it to be deleted from everywhere. (Thanks to @leledavid )

If anyone knows other clean-up tools, do not hesitate to mention them in comments, I will edit this post. Thanks

13 Likes

I remember when I decided to delete my Facebook account years ago, I spent several weeks deleting all my comments/likes/etc… one by one. :face_with_spiral_eyes: :smile:

1 Like

How about as well - make a new email address? That Yahoo mail one you’ve been using since 2008 is probably carrying a lot of baggage.

2 Likes

Perhaps helpful to also mention this page where you can check if Facebook has your mobile/landline phone number or email address - and if so then request it to be deleted from everywhere.

3 Likes

True, deleting all data from Favebook is time consuming for sure. I did it twice already. Later I had to create new fb account lasr summer to be able to

1. see the offer of poor companies not having a normal website :sob:

2. my uni has lots of updates there :woman_facepalming:

3. few relatives abroad stubborn enough to better have no contact than raise Signal messenger (for 2 years) :woman_facepalming: :exclamation:

First two points I can close in summer. But regarding thos extremely stubborn relatives I feel hopeless. For now I have fb in a browser dedicated for it and placed on my computer.

Great suggestions, @Julien, thanks.

For me, cleaning up means as well to alleviate/getting rid of what is not really needed. For instance, old conversations in your messengers. I recognise that most of them I store on my device but likely I will never ever touch them again. But they might bock space on my device.

In many messenger apps there are actually options that older messages are automatically deleted after a certain number of days/months. This can be set for the entire app or for specific conversations only.

No extra tools are needed. In Signal for instance just go to Settings > Data and storage > Manage Storage > Keep messages

1 Like

I is amazing how big a foot print we leave as we wander through life.