Alternatives to Advanced Privacy

Hello
I don’t know where to put this topic as it’s actually not for using /e/ but rather to get a similar behavior to /e/ on Microg for Lineage OS. @Manoj fell free to move it where you see fit.
I like the idea of Advanced Privacy even if I don’t use its special features like fake geolocation and hide ip address. Advanced Privacy was supposed to be available as an app but I don’t see it happening in the near future so I would like to get recommendations for alternatives.
I’ve installed the DuckDuckGo Privacy protection but I don’t think it’s as good as Advanced Privacy in blocking the trackers.
Thank you in advance for the advice.

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/OS the deGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

1 Like

Tracker-Control
https://f-droid.org/fr/packages/net.kollnig.missioncontrol.fdroid/

Blokada
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.blokada.sex

and probably others that i don’t know of…

1 Like

Blokada is screwing you apps? :slight_smile:

Tracker control seems nice… I’ll give it a try. DuckDuckGO is using something similar but there is no interface (that I could find).
Thanks piero!

Rethink DNS
https://f-droid.org/packages/com.celzero.bravedns/

2 Likes

is that an extra app or the browser?

the nice thing about the above mentioned Tracker-Control, Blokada, rethinkDNS as well as netguard (which is not a blocker but a firewall), personalDNSfilter etc. is that these work for other apps as well and not only for websites visited via a browser (downside is that these apps require usage of the only VPN-interface that android provides - which does not apply for AP because it is deeply integrated in the OS).

Well it’s a bit strange. It’s an option you enable in the browser but it seems to have a wider area than just browsing. I’m not sure though. It acts as a sort of local VPN that filter trackers.
Yet it’s not a separate app…

1 Like

does it occupy the VPN-interface of the system?

It seem that way. Trackercontrol and the DuckDuckGo complain of each other. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What do you think about …

FREE Browser ~ F-droid Store
0 trackers | 12 permissions

• Fully open source
• AdBlocker using StevenBlack host list
• Measures against browser fingerprinting
• Cookie Banner Blocker: Auto “Deny”, based on Cookie Banner Rules from Firefox
• …

DuckDuckGo
0 trackers | 22 permissions

Thank you for you suggestion Xxpsilon. It’s an interesting browser, but seems to have some issues with accessing some websites.
I think DuckDuckGo is the best search engine in terms of efficiency and privacy. I also like that they sponsor/donate each year to small companies or organizations that work for the internet freedom, see here for example.

What do you think about …

Swisscows anonymous search engine: No tracking : Anonymous : Family-friendly

InviZible Pro. At sone point used on all of my devices/ROMs including /e/OS (never use Advanced Privacy).
Tor, DNSCrypt (DoH, ODoH also), I2P, Firewall. Access onion sites from any browser whether or not traffic is routed through Tor.

Root, VPN, Proxy modes. Can be used with VPN services or apps like NetGuard, TrackerControl, PCAPdroid.

Fully configurable if you know what you"re doing.

Do not get from Google as that version is crippled due to Google"s policy on adblocking.

InviZible

1 Like

A big thank you for all the suggestions.
InviZible Pro looks a bit overkill. I just don’t want google…I’m not trying to really hide when online.
Swisscows seems interesting but I think they have nowhere near the same infrastructure as DuckDuckGo.

Another thing that I remembered… the FREE browser seems to consume more battery than should be expected…

I took a bit of a pause from testing Lineage OS so I’ll resume experimenting when back to using my Sony XZ2 premium (running Lineage OS 21).

Swisscows will grow with your usage :wink::grin:

I mean /e/OS also started small(er)

Same here about the hiding so I don’t route traffic through Tor.
InviZible is actually simple. The dev recommends using the defaults anyway. Advanced users can dig into other options if needed. In our non-hiding case, toggling off the ‘Route all traffic through Tor’ is all that’s needed. Or not using the Tor module at all.

Regarding search engines, a good one is Mojeek. Described somewhere as a “true search engine” with a strict no tracking policy.

Mojeek is a crawler-based search engine that provides independent search results using its own index of web pages, rather than using results from other search engines. Mojeek also displays significantly more individual entries in its search results than Google or Bing.