Android 10 (Q) for Fairphone 3

Hello together,

I am new here, please excuse if this question was asked and answered already.
I have the Fairphone 3, Software version 0.16. But I still have Android 9. I didn’t get any notification to install Android 10. I read, that Android 10 should have been rolled out last year for my phone, but for me it wasn’t.
Am I missing something? Do I have to reset and flash my phone and manually install Android 10? Or will it be available OTA easy to install without any data lost for simple users like my?

Thanks in advance.

This was the same on my device. First I thought I can wait on that update. But then the time got long.

I updated my Android 9 with easy-installer to Android 10. The manual update is needed until now because the automatic OTA update is still in development.

easy-installer is a PC program for Windows or Linux. The mobile device must be connected with an USB cable to the computer. easy-installer takes an hour and will delete everything on the device. So you have to make a backup of all your data and apps before you start. Read here. This all is not that easy and transparent as the name suggests and you can also stuck or fail with this. If you can’t imagine that you will manage it alone try to find someone in your town who has already done it.

1 Like

Hi @Rauchschwalbe welcome.

I quite agree with @irrlicht to take a cautious approach. Android upgrades are not so very important after all and you say you have /e/ v0.16 so you will have good user experience (we hope :slightly_smiling_face:)

You do not say if you purchased the phone from /e/ but if so an email to support@e.email should get you the best advice at this time.

Edit, “Am I missing something” perhaps check out Different Build Types.

Bon chance

Hello @irrlicht and @aibd,

Thanks a lot for you quick, kind and helpful answers.
I bought my Fairphone at Fairphone directly and let a friend install /e/.
After this description I would rather not try to install Android 10 on my own with easy-installer if I have to backup and reinstall everything. ^^

For me, Android 10 is not that important, and yes, I am very happy with my current system.
But after I read that Android 10 was rolled out for Fairphone 3, https://social.weho.st/@Fairphone/104824280712225841, I was just curious about my own phone. (btw., my mistake, just realized, I mixed up the news from Fairphone and /e/.)

Thanks again, have a sunny Sunday

1 Like

Well, reinstalling everything is not everybody’s favourite leisure-time activity, that’s for sure :slight_smile: .
But you might want to think about the backup part. Any computer device may fail you at any given most inconvenient time. Backups help.

Favourite leisure-time activity… :smiley:

Total agree on that point. That’s why I started to use Tresorit app recently for constant automatic backup of all pictures. (You even can use the desk app to sync the pictures automatically to a computer.) Contacts are stored in Posteo cloud and the rest is allowed to fail and get lost. Would be inconvenient, but not a desaster.

1 Like

Think also about email and social media accounts configuration, app settings and such things. If you lose all that stuff it can take a day or so to restore all that so that it works again.

I have my contacts in a file on my computer. Also the calendar events (saved about once in a month). Also some exported settings of some apps.

1 Like