Anyone actually sucessfully using Easy Installer?

Hi
I’m about to get a OnePlus 8 Pro which is on the Easy Installer list.

Last time I used Easy Installer, about two years ago with a Samasung 9+, it was very frustrating and problematic and didn’t work. Is it any more reliable thesedays or indeed was my problem specific to S9+ I wonder…

Anyone actually sucessfully using Easy Installer?

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/OS the deGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

Just a reminder …

4 Likes

This sparked the idea in me to perhaps start a poll (in a separate topic) on how people got /e/OS onto their phone – Easy Installer, manuall installation or bought pre-installed:thinking:

I think this is a good idea.

I’ve tried several times to use Easy Istaller but always ended up doing it manually. It would be good to know if anyone is not using manual methods, but also what other manual methods are being used other than the e/os given instructions.

For me it worked years ago with FP3 and I think for Pixel 4a also (I might done that manually but I know from others in forum it worked)

4 Likes

When I switched my then all-new Fairphone 3+ to /e/OS in March or April 2021 (just 3-4 weeks after buying it new with Fairphone OS), I initially tried using the Easy Installer, but aborted this when it took Easy Installer too long to recognize the device. I then installed it using Minimal ADB and Fastboot, i.e. manual installation.

P.S.: You can also vote in a poll here:

2 Likes

i did it manually on Oneplus 3T, Xiaomi Mi A1 and Mi A2, a Pixel 7 was bought from Murena

I think people should better contribute to openandroidinstaller as a base which then could be used for custom version by “OS”

4 Likes

Yes I totally agree!

The trick with easy installer is you have to be at the correct version of android that matches the easy installer version. I forget how I was able to tell the easy installer version but I did.

So if easy installer is using eOS S (android 12) the phone must be at android 12. Sometime it is necessary to use the phone manufactures roll back tool, both Google and Motorola have one. Then once you have eOS install update OTA.

But to tell the truth I just find it much simpler to use the command line.

When using the command line I use notepad or text editor to first make my commands in the notepad. When it tells me to side load a *.img file I right click the actual file and say rename then copy the file name and paste it into the notepad. Once I have all my commands I then open the dos or terminal window in the platform tools folder. I also rename the platform tools folder something like PT35 so if I have to type an actual command it’s much shorter than platformtools.

Thanks for this Joe.

Seems from your post you use a Mac as well as PC to do the command line - is that correct?

What’s not “Easy” about the Easy Installer is it has no ‘intelligence’ as such and therefore fails to feedback to the user. For example I get to the very first stage to download the first file and a green blob goes back and forth across the screen with ‘Can’t check intergrity’ and ‘Try Again’ text underneath.
That’s it. End of journey.

And then you start to find out things like Android version mismatch etc…but it’s not really an Easy Installer!

Apparently they are working on a web based solution right now. Let’s hope it’s better because if the Easy Installer doesn’t work AND the command line doesn’t work (my current situation) what’s the future for e/os?

Yes easy installer should have more feedback to the user if anything is wrong for sure.

I am using Linux Ubuntu and Windows 11. Because I had difficulty setting up platform tool in Linux. I use Windows to do the command line installs. My PC are dual boot Ubuntu and Windows, 95% of time I’m use Ubuntu until I forced to used Windows. I hate MS as much as I do Google LOL.

I just made another dual boot laptop and will try the platform tools in Linux again.

Apologies for my off topic for Easy Installer, but this important paragraph (I seem to remember) used to be published with regular platform-tools Releases but is now moved to a different part of Android Studio.

plugdev + udev rules

From the above page:

Set up your system to detect your device.

• ChromeOS: No additional configuration required.

• macOS: No additional configuration required.

• Windows: Install a USB driver for ADB (if applicable). For an installation guide and links to OEM drivers, see Install OEM USB drivers.

• Ubuntu Linux: Set up the following:

• Each user that wants to use ADB needs to be in the plugdev group. If you see an error message that says you’re not in the plugdev group, add yourself to it using the following command:
sudo usermod -aG plugdev $LOGNAME

Groups only update on login, so you must log out for this change to take effect. When you log back in, you can use id to check that you’re in the plugdev group.

• The system needs to have udev rules installed that cover the device. The android-sdk-platform-tools-common package contains a community-maintained default set of udev rules for Android devices. To install it, use the following command:
apt-get install android-sdk-platform-tools-common

In case common is not found by the package manager it can be found here https://pkgs.org/download/android-sdk-platform-tools-common

Some devices may still require adjustment of /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules but you have a base file to adjust. A really comprehensive copy here android-udev-rules/51-android.rules at main · M0Rf30/android-udev-rules · GitHub.