App gives Error code 4010001 (Support says it is /e/OS code)

When I install a specific banking app, I need to register, the first step is to enter the phone number. After doing that, the response is “Something went wrong. Please restart your app (error: 4010001)”. The support of the App manufacturer claims this error code does not come from their App but from the Operating System (FP4, /e/OS 1.5.1 Android 12 from 02-11-2022, but the same happened with any /e/OS since August 2022). Does anyone know what this error code means? I could not find anything in any search on the internet, but it looks suspiciously like an 401xxxx (not authorized) code, in which case it would not have much to do with /e/OS but really be in the responsibility of the App owner.
Any help or info appreciated, thanks

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

A workaround for most non working out of the box banking apps is to install “magisk” to hide the root with the “safetynet-fix” and the “shamiko” module

1 Like

I knew Magisk from my last phone, but thanks for the detailed infos (I may use them later, I am currently running my Phone unrooted).

I also successively deactivated all the protection mechanisms which /e/OS provides (VPN, Fake Location, Access Rights) but it seems none of that helped.

if you can do adb logcat, the error in the log is probably much more self-explaining to its origin. 4010001 reads to me like http 401 unauthorized. If the register window is delegated to a webview it might be a missing class… could you disclose the appid ?

OK system has no root permission, but have been builded and signed using “user-debug keys”, and have been installed by a custom recovery manager that need unlocking the bootloader, and access to the root of the system file.

You can use “rootbeer sample” app from “AuroraStore” (or another checker) to see what cause the problem.

In logcat, i get a lot of continuous messages, so I tried several times; i just paste those messages which over several times happened only at the time I was trying to were at the time I was trying to perform the registration. The app is “Swiss Bankers” (ch.swissbankers.mycard)

logcat (1st try):
11-23 19:36:07.766 1550 2044 W InputReader: Received unexpected event (0x35, 0x285) for slot 0 with tracking id 1898
11-23 19:36:07.766 1550 2044 W InputReader: Received unexpected event (0x36, 0x85a) for slot 0 with tracking id 1898
11-23 19:36:07.930 3445 3445 D GmsDummySvc: onBind: Intent { act=com.google.android.gms.recaptcha.service.START pkg=com.google.android.gms }
11-23 19:36:07.945 3445 27347 D GmsDummySvc: bound by: GetServiceRequest{serviceId=RECAPTCHA, gmsVersion=12451000, packageName=‘ch.swissbankers.mycard’, extras=Bundle[{}]}
11-23 19:36:07.989 1550 8165 W InputManager-JNI: Input channel object ‘aaa0b38 ch.swissbankers.mycard/ch.swissbankers.mycard.MainActivity (client)’ was disposed without first being removed with the input manager!

logcat (2nd try):
11-23 19:22:32.638 1550 2044 W InputReader: Received unexpected event (0x35, 0x299) for slot 0 with tracking id 1829
11-23 19:22:32.638 1550 2044 W InputReader: Received unexpected event (0x36, 0x586) for slot 0 with tracking id 1829
11-23 19:22:32.802 3445 3445 D GmsDummySvc: onBind: Intent { act=com.google.android.gms.recaptcha.service.START pkg=com.google.android.gms }
11-23 19:22:32.831 3445 16869 D GmsDummySvc: bound by: GetServiceRequest{serviceId=RECAPTCHA, gmsVersion=12451000, packageName=‘ch.swissbankers.mycard’, extras=Bundle[{}]}
11-23 19:22:32.835 1550 3368 W InputManager-JNI: Input channel object ‘9be7e37 ch.swissbankers.mycard/ch.swissbankers.mycard.MainActivity (client)’ was disposed without first being removed with the input manager!

I am not very familiar with Android, so any help to interpret this is appreciated :thinking:

RootBeer Sample shows all green and “not rooted”.
However, if the app in question would detect simply an unlocked device, not only a rooted device, that might be a problem (it should not according to the app support, but …)

1 Like

com.google.android.gms.recaptcha.service.START

I know that call well, it wants to get a Recaptcha widget for you to prove you’re not a bot - but that class it is calling is not implemented in microG. I explained it on the github bugtracker and created a clone in the /e/gitlab to be discoverable through that. It’s not a bug, it’s missing implementation

2 Likes

Was wondering a bit about that. On my OnePlus with microG, Google stuff turned on, and Magisk Delta (but not using any specific safetynet fixes), the recaptcha tests in microG pass.

On an /e/ device (regular Magisk) with device registration and GCM off but safetynet on, it also passes the recaptcha test.

I take it that despite that, apps would still have problems when making requests. Just curious as I know little about the subject really, Hasn’t been much of a concern until recently when I started to use a banking app for the first time (which works fine on the OP8T but not on my daily driver).

the recaptcha tests in microG

I elaborate on it in the github issue

there are 3 different recaptchas api (firebase, safetynet, play/gms) by Google with a different api surface (can’t copy the implementation) and call classes, 2 of which microG covers. The one soundcloud, discord and the banking app of this thread wants to call is the missing one. The one your testing in the microG settings of your phone is the safetynet one.

if you can @sombrero note down the appid ch.swissbankers.mycard and app-name in the github issue with your logcat, so others have a search result. You can also create an individual issue ticket and mention #1654

2 Likes

I created a new [issue #1836 on Github] ([ch.swissbankers.mycard] Recaptcha Error on trying to register · Issue #1836 · microg/GmsCore · GitHub) and referred to #1654

1 Like