Appreciation..."Lucky Sixteen"

Hello there. I quite like the spirit here, and feel this is going to be a great project. So, I undertook a “Lucky Sixteen” donation to /e/.

I like this forum, the email, and the cloud service. I think I will continue to use these services, but I’m considering simply installing LineageOS on my phone (Nexus 5), since that’s what I’m used to.
Screenshot_2019-12-30_15-10-43

Out of pure curiosity, where do you see functional/usability differences between LOS and /e/?

1 Like

what a great post! i would encourage you to stay with /e/, i really like how they are trying to build an open-source, privacy-safe phone experience. It goes much further than just the OS, they are really trying to develop a mobile ecosystem (e.g. they also have free email, free 5GB storage, they support nextcloud syncing, etcetc)
great to have you onboard on this forum @MarkG_108!

1 Like

You can also go for e on that device, it works really good.

1 Like

Well, if you’re satisfied with LOS 15.1, why not?

On the other hand - there are some /e/ users of Samsung devices (S7 / S7 Edge, S9 / S9+) who only use a /e/ ROM because of the OTA and security patches, as there are currently no official LOS images for the four Samsung’s either.

The handling of /e/ is not so different than that you have to get used to it.

1 Like

It’s branch cm-14.1 for the Nexus 5. I build it myself to get the latest security updates, and I’m guessing the same is true for the developers who build /e/.

There are no longer any updates on LineageOS for hammerhead (Nexus 5), but there still are security updates to the cm-14.1 branch that LineageOS for the hammerhead relies on (see here: https://review.lineageos.org/q/project:LineageOS/android_build+branch:cm-14.1 --> the Android security patch level has generally been updated later in the month, corresponding to a security patch level of the fifth of the month; so, as of this writing, the Android security patch level is at December 5, 2019).

/e/ was fine, but it had a lotta stuff. I come from a background of just using LineageOS and F-Droid (without GApps), so all the extras that came with /e/ weren’t of much use to me. The email and the eCloud storage (which I think is a setup on Nextcloud) is quite nice. Cloud storage is rather new to me. I figure it might be useful if I want to share files (rather than using Google Docs), but otherwise I’m not sure what I could use it for. Having a backup calendar I can sync with might be useful, I suppose.

However, I don’t know if I should continue to use the email and cloud thing since I’m not currently using /e/ on my phone.

Unfortunately I’m not yet able to build builds myself. So I don’t understand where you get the “security updates to the cm-14.1 branch” from? G°°gle has discontinued support for Android Nougat 7.1.x.

2019-11-01 security patch level details > Updated AOSP versions: 8.0, 8.1, 9, 10
2019-10-01 security patch level details > Updated AOSP versions: 7.1.1, 7.1.2 , 8.0, 8.1, 9

In 11/2019 there were no more security patches for Android 7.1.1 and 7.1.2.

I’m not a programmer myself, so I may be mistaken. However, as I recall, /e/ for the Nexus 5 reported its Android version as being 7.1.2, and the equivalent LineageOS version is 14.1. So the argument that /e/ on Nexus 5 is more secure doesn’t really wash. The latest reported security update on the phone with /e/ was December 5, 2019, as is the case on the Nexus 5 phone with LineageOS.

Have another look at LineageOS Gerrit: https://review.lineageos.org/q/project:LineageOS/android_build+branch:cm-14.1

Granted, there are no further “Security Patch Level” advances. Rather, there are “Security String” updates. The phone, after making the builds, simply lists the “Android security patch level” at the same date as the “Security String” updates (that being December 5 2019). Is that different? Perhaps. Is there a difference in the reported “Android security patch level” between /e/ and LineageOS on the Nexus 5? Not that I saw.

The trend-setting solution is: let’s get away from 7-nougat - immediately to 9-pie. Those responsible at /e/ have known this for a long time. It’s probably only a question of time: “We are working on upgrading all Nougat devices.”

And it also depends on the /e/ manpower: “The point is /e/ is not dependent on Lineage to continue supporting. It make it easier to port a device if it is already on Lineage’s list of supported devices but we are now adding devices which were never on Lineage’s list.”

That’s why I keep arguing that not everything on the WWW can be free and that " All authoritative customROM developers and helping hands should be considered with donations./e/ anyway, but also Lineage, microG and TeamWin - TWRP."

1 Like

That would be great. Lineage 16 for hammerhead has been available for some time.

i agree with this, it’s important that we all chip in

and with that the circle is round to the 1st post in this thread!

Where did you hear that?

All of them are currently still UNOFFICIAL builds.