Fairphone 2 (FP2) workaround

Calling the /e/ community for help with the latest question on the Gitlab issue please.
Because I’m not sure the /e/ developpers have a clue. Probably the reason why we’re still waiting.

I’m still not sure that it’s worth to invest a lot of energy in fixing the nougat version, while the pie version is not affected and will hopefully be the official version in the near future…

1 Like

People are saying here that we could donate to Lineage or XDA forum to work on /e/ maintenance instead of /e/ developers. and this donation could be targetet to a specific model, like the FP2.
From what I read above, as we speak, neither /e/ nor Lineage have had their Nougat version fixed with the Fairphone patch for this issue. But Lineage developers have experience with it because it is fixed on their Oreo version.
@PNJ88_Beast, @archie, I see that the FP2 LineageOS maintainer is nicknamed ‘chrmhoffmann’. Should we contact him and how?

Hello @cedricoola, chrmhoffmann’s Developer Profile’ no contact address is given. But maybe you can get in touch via →Twitter?

No, that’s not what was said let me clarify things for you.

xda-developers.com is an independent forum where developers share their creations on the different devices available in the market. Among many other things this includes the LineageOS project. What I said is that the creator would typically publish their work and include information on how to contact, donate, contribute, etc.

My suggestion was to check out these forums for any active development outside of /e/ or LOS for your device; which by the way unfortunately there is not as of today. To be clear, since /e/ is based on LOS it makes sense to seek for active projects on both OS, hence again why I suggested. For instance I suggest you ask in their reddit channel: r/LineageOS.

So I’m not saying that we should bypass /e/'s developers since they are the ones maintaining this project. If you specifically want /e/ for your device contribute to them.

@PNJ88_Beast I would like to keep /e/ for my device, indead. I’m not willing to switch to Lineage or another project for now. I wouldn’t be on this forum if it were the case.

or do you mean that LineageOS developers could fix the no-shutdown issue in Nougat Version for FP2 LineageOS build, so that it could then be reflected in /e/ by /e/ developers? I don’t know if LineageOs developers would do that, because the current Lineage build of the FP2 is no longer Nougat so they would have no interest in fixing their Nougat version, unlike /e/.

1 Like

Like LineageOS and LineageOS-for-mircoG should /e/ very quickly put aside the maintenance of e-0.7-nougat and concentrate its manpower on /e/ OS 9-Pie.

The fact is that G°°gle no longer provides official security updates for Android 7.1.1 / 7.1.2 Nougat. The special maintenance of security updates from Android-8-and-9-versions in e-0.7-n- OS ROMs is like a time-consuming handicrafts.

All authoritative customROM developers and helping hands should be considered with donations./e/ anyway, but also Lineage, microG and TeamWin - TWRP. A German proverb says:

Nothing in life is free, only death - and that costs life.

I think you’re answering your own first question.
I can’t imagine that chrmhoffmann will invest time in a fix for the LineageOS Nougat build as he’s currently already working on an LineagOS 17 (Android 10) build for the FP2

2 Likes

Well, you’re missing a small point here: Fairphone (the company) is supporting the FP2 and they are providing patches and updates on both Fairphone OS (the proprietary one, initially shipped with the phone) and Fairphone Open OS (their open source, free from google OS). They are still on nougat and are still providing support for it. Security patches from google and driver patches if needed. This annoying bug is fixed on the Android 7 version (open source) provided by Fairphone. So it’s not /e/ or Lineage developers who keep Android up to date on the Fairphone,the Fairphone developers are doing it. But /e/ developers need to backport the patch.

2 Likes

Hi @fla would you be having more details on this patch…if yes pl can you share the same so that it can be passed on to the build team to backport.

Here is the issue with the patch on the fairphone bugtracker: https://bugtracker.fairphone.com/project/fairphone-android-7/issue/7

1 Like

Note that this is the same fix as what Karsten Tausche of Fairphone gave us in the comments of the Gitlab issue.
chrmhoffmann, the LineageOS FP2 maintainer, applied the fix to Lineage OS shortly after it was made available for Fairphone 2 OS and Fairphone 2 Open OS. That said, he made it available for Lineage 15.1 which is Oreo, I believe. Is that the reason why /e/ Nougat has not been fixed to date? Is it because the Lineage fix was made to Oreo not Nougat that /e/ FP2 users are still waiting today? Let’s understand what went wrong and put in place corrective measures for future fixes.

if the Lineage nougat version is still maintained then the patch should be backported there and then /e/ will have it simply rebasing on it. If it is not maintained anymore because they are only supporting oreo now then I guess /e/ should apply the patch and maintain the diff, it will not be hard it’s a 4 lines patch. Of course, pushing it upstream in Lineage would be better, the less maintenance in /e/ we have, the better.

1 Like

Is someone in touch with chrmhoffmann , so we can ask him if the Lineage Nougat version is still maintained and, if yes, ask if he can apply the patch to Lineage Nougat as well, this for the purpose of /e/?

We are testing an official upgrade for FP2 to pie… looking for volunteer testers Get the details here

3 Likes

The issue is solved in Pie.
Just built and installed Pie ‘e-0.7-p-20200110-UNOFFICIAL-FP2’ on FP2 and powered off my phone. It did not reboot, so when an official /e/ version Pie Android 9 is released, the issue is solved. No workaround needed anymore.

3 Likes

Thanks for confirming that @pjmbraet
Another reason to start upgrading the outdated OS on devices and put in latest official versions!

1 Like

Of course it is solved on Pie! No surprise to me, as /e/ forks their builds from Lineage and Lineage has applied the patch on Oreo and Pie.