Are they going after /e/ users?

Scary!

2 Likes

Google made encryption mandatory by default in Android 10 (Q), says the internet.
Please apply Hanlon’s razor.

2 Likes

The article seems pretty clear that modified phones would be caught in this. Any phone on which a custom ROM (/e/, Calyx, Graphene, Lineage etc) has been installed after purchase could and perhaps will be argued to have been modified. It is not stated that only hardware modifications will qualify. As a UK citizen I am very familiar with frequent attempts by government to undermine the privacy of the individual. So it is reasonable to be suspicious in this case.

2 Likes

This is an attack of predictive policing.
Sooner or later had to come.
Goes well with the recent AI-Act and the proposal of EHDS (European Heath Data Shower or so).

Predictive policing is said to prevent crime, but in fact it means that you are subject to a crime that you might commit.
So as if you are subject to the committing of sexual assault just because you have an anus or a penis or a vagina. Or hands. One might be enough.

3 Likes

I assume this won’t go anywhere.

Besides the evil terrorists in the private sector, encryption is mandatory for all industry and business devices, as encryption goes hand in hand with security, not only privacy.

So if the UK want to be competetive, they need to keep at least the same standards as the US or EU.

1 Like

I hope you are correct but you’re missing the point about modification.

1 Like

Yet many of those passing laws are deviants themselves!

1 Like

There are other very worrying developments in the UK, such as recent plans to limit freedom of assembly. I sincerely hope these things won’t get through.

People here take freedom and democracy for granted. If we look to Myanmar, Hong Kong, Taiwan or even recent events in the US and Brazil, we can see how fragile our free societies can be when they come under threat.

2 Likes

What kind of events?

I’m referring to the storm on the Captiol, campaigns by third party states to influence public opinion or disrupt election campaigns (Cambridge Analytica, Team Jorge) and so on.

1 Like

Reads like a remake of film “The Minority Report”

It seems that UK wanted to leave UE to set totally own rules. Around year 1946 was created a first document about the right to privacy. Nowadays are so many attemps to not abandon this right. Exuses may vary, but still it is horrible.
The worst thing is that if now someone needs to get to UK than regular phone is required? No comment.

This topic was automatically closed after 15 days. New replies are no longer allowed.