ASUS - ZenFone 8 - sake - Documentation Suggestions

May check this thread here, seems to have the same issue when flashing recovery partition:

https://xdaforums.com/t/fastboot-quirks-howto-fix-warning-skip-copying-recovery-image-avb-footer-recovery-partition-size-0-recovery-image-size.4663653/

Lots of info, but I think he did resolve the issue by changing the computer / USB-cable / USB-port.

Well,

I tried some cables and ports of my PC.

Finally,
I discovered that after the procedure adb devices then adb reboot bootloader The phone wasn’t recognized anymore with adb devices command.
But fastboot devices did.
I then tried fastboot flash recovery /chemin/twrpxxx.img and got :

Sending 'recovery' (98304 KB)                      OKAY [  2.576s]
Writing 'recovery'                                 FAILED (remote: '(recovery_b) No such partition')
fastboot: error: Command failed

Then I tried fastboot flash boot /chemin/recovery-e-2.1-t-20240605406922-dev-sake.img and got :

Sending 'boot_b' (98304 KB)                        OKAY [  2.686s]
Writing 'boot_b'                                   OKAY [  0.136s]
Finished. Total time: 3.050s

But the phone began to loop on boot. I now have an error message in red and white :

<!>
Your device is corrupt. It can't be trusted and will not boot.
avb check failed, shutdown after 10s
Contact service center for help

I have to <vol+, vol- and On> to get the green start screen. No more access to Android 13.
The recovery mode get in loop. :frowning:

fastboot yet recognizes the phone, so I tried the command fastboot flash vendor_boot '/chemin/ZenFone8/vendor_boot.img' I picked the last vendor_boot.img from Index of /pub/lineageos/full/sake
It seems to be okay :

Sending 'vendor_boot' (98304 KB)                   OKAY [  2.725s]
Writing 'vendor_boot'                              OKAY [  0.191s]
Finished. Total time: 3.107s

• But I don’t know what I could try to recover, because I don’t have any access to recovery mode.
  • Another question is what is the difference between fastboot flash boot and fastboot flash recovery command ? And why e-recovery is Okay in boot directory and TWRP is not in recovery which seems not to exist.
  • What could I expect if I try fastboot flash boot twrp.img for instance ?

It seems like things are a bit chaotic over there. Most likely the bootloader has been corrupted.

I recommend going from scratch again with the Asus image, since you still can fastboot the phone:
https://www.asus.com/content/android-13-beta/

According ‘Install /e/OS on a ASUS ZenFone 8 - sake’ you should use:

fastboot flash boot recoveryfilename.img

If you manage to boot into the /e/ recovery for starting the actual sideloading the current /e/ image, this will then ultimately show if prior applied vendor boot image will work. With A12 almost everybody had issues with newer vendor_boot images…

Well, things are not going better for the moment.
With a fresh installed Android 13 up to date Zenphone 8 I can’t go further :

After fastboot flash vendor_boot <vendor_boot>.img adp doesn’t recognize the phone, but fastboot. I tried lineage last vendor_boot.img too.
After fastboot flash boot /blabla/recovery-e-2.0-t-20240514401453-dev-sake.img or 2.1 or esle, I don’t have any recovery. It come on Start directly.

I can’t either get TWRP working by fastboot flash recovery '/Chemin/twrp.img' I tried 3.6, 3.7 and 3.7.1 version.
I tried on Linux Mint Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy, on Windows 10, with adb from Linux Mint or the last version on sdk tools.

So, I 'm stuck at the very begining of the procedure.

I wonder what have been the important thing I passed by.
:thinking:
Could you help me ?

Ok.

Gone to the very begining.

Re-installed Android 13 and came back to adb commands :

• adb devices recognize the phone
  • adb reboot bootloader

And i finally tried fastboot oem device-info and the answer is : Device unlocked: false

:nauseated_face:

Be positive and think about what you learned since the begining of the story, boy ! did I say to myself.

As a matter of fact Asus don’t developp any app to root a Zenphone 8, as you can read here : Where is the "Unlock Device Tool"? - Page 2 - ASUS - ZenTalk - 372034

So please @Manoj could you make a big warning in red about it on the list of compatible phones. It’s a trap.
Asus will NEVER developp any rooting app for that piece of glass and electronics.

Thank you everyone who tried to help me. I learned a lot and close this topic.
:love_you_gesture:

The change is pending with the review team. I expect a release with v2.2

There is this info in the installation guide:
Please note ASUS bootloader unlock App service are not functional for the past couple of months. Only users with devices which are already unlocked should proceed with the installation as the instructions in the Unlocking section may not work .

the instructions in the Unlocking section may not work.

I would say “won’t work” to be precise.
:slightly_smiling_face:

It will if your bootloader is allready open, which I know is not the case for everyone

Can someone clarify how to go from 1.19.1 Android 12 (S) to (T)? From which step in the installation guide can I start for this update please? current e recovery 1.19 I also do not understand why during an update the e recovery also gets an update, why is that and is it necessary to update it ?

from S to T, you can simply download, reboot to recovery and apply, just don’t wipe anything.

1 Like

thankyou i did the update today ,it works :wink: