ASUS - ZenFone 8 - sake - Documentation Suggestions

…Enter suggestions to improve documentation in this category. Do not raise bugs or issues here…

Hi,

The Vendor Boot section lack a linkt to the right file :

The link “here” point to _https://mirror.math.princeton.edu/pub/lineageos/full/sake/_ with a list of lineageos builds ; but only the older one https://mirror.math.princeton.edu/pub/lineageos/full/sake/20220422/ worked for me !

I tried first the latest, and I was stuck on the bootloader. The latest may have the vendro boot format for Android 12, which could explain why it doesn’t work.

So could we replace the link to point directly to https://mirror.math.princeton.edu/pub/lineageos/full/sake/20220422/ , or host directly at /e/ a valid vendor_boot.img

After that I acceded the /e/ recovery, first install didn’t work (device black, not responding to power button for minutes), but after a second Apply update it worked.

Just for cosmetic, console on computer gave me an different message than usually:

$ adb sideload e-1.0-r-20220527188878-dev-sake.zip 
serving: 'e-1.0-r-20220527188878-dev-sake.zip'  (~47%)    adb: failed to read command: Success

I want to upgrade the asus sake to S and wonder which guide is best.
I do notice a mistake I think:
In the command line guide I read : Warning: Before following these instructions please ensure that the device is on the latest Android 11 firmware.

Shouldn’t that be Android 12 ?

First back to stock A12 and then the command line guide ?

I confirm @eboelens (and the wording looks fixed now), it works much better when flashing from Asus A12 rom than from /e/ A11 !

I got troubles untils I found on the forum a link to an Asus tool to flash the Zenfone 8 to A12 : Android-13-Beta | ASUS Global

After that, I followed the Install instructions an everything went smoothly (but I wiped my data during the process), and the phone works great now!

1 Like

Hi I did the same, flash the Zenfone to A12 but no succes with flash /e/ ‘S’
boot always in bootloader
Any idea ?
I started another topic

Hi, I just installed e/OS/ on a new Zenfone 8. After Unlocking the bootloader, I had to enable USB debugging again. I am using Ubuntu 22.10 and struggled with the adb and fastboot from the Android website. I ended up using Ubuntu adb and fastboot and it seemed to work fine.

Hello,
I am new here and quite disapointed. I bought a Zenfone 8 as it is in the supported devices list. And now it looks like there is no way anymore to unlock the bootloader. It seems Auss remove the possibility to unlock the bootloader. I propose you mentionned this in the documentation and remove the Asus devices frome the supported devices lists to avoid that others give them money :frowning:
Or is there an alternative to unlock the bootloader i didn’t find?

Regards

For people who allready have an open bootloader it still works. Not sure how they should document it, it would be better to mark it on the smartphone selector

A warning was added in the Unlocking the Bootloader section for users with unlocked bootloaders.

Thanks I hope this helps! Good iddea to put it as well on the smartphone selector, maybe a general note on Asus phones?

Oh jesus, just spend 400 € for this smartphone, now I see it won’t work…please remove it from the smartphone list!