Asus Zenfone 8 Vendor Image v11

Hi Folks,

Im coming from Sailfish OS and want to give my new Asus Zenfone 8 a new /e/ os home, that I got on sale.

Reading through the issues for this phone, there seems to be a discrepancy with Lineage OS <> /e/ OS fastboot, vendor image versions, due to the currently different supported Android 12 <> Android 11 base firmware.

As my phone still has the Asus Android 11 stock firmware on, in my view, the current /e/ still should work.

Any hints how I can get the old vendor_boot.img for Android 11?

This issue should theoretically be resolved. The install docs for the Zenfone 8 now have it listed for Android S (or 12), so there shouldn’t be a mismatch between the Lineage OS and /e/ OS pieces.

I haven’t tried it myself though, so I can’t be completely sure.

Hmm thanks. Sake installation instructions still talk about Android 11.
https://doc.e.foundation/devices/sake/install
Before following these instructions please ensure that the device is on the latest Android 11 firmware.

But, when I look at 1.6S DEV image in the PB files im reading Asus/WW_I006D/ASUS_I006D:12 with probably indicate Android v12

This is a bit confusing to me.

Hi Have you read these yet ?
the file is still there

I think you really need to go to A12 first:
https://www.asus.com/content/android-13-beta/
(at the bottom of the page are the instructions)

and then follow the installation manual but use my vendor_boot file
I did it this way and it works

you can try vendor_boot file from the manual but that didn’t work for me, none not the latest and not the oldest (I don’t remember the dates)
I was lucky and had kept my worked vendor_boot file at the time. This is in my dropbox and you can try then.

let us know how it goes

Thanks for the advice.

The thing is, a couple of days ago, I got a bit overexcited on getting the vendor boot image for version 11.
So, I went ahead and dumped the boot image with ‘dd’ - basically extracted the boot image from my phone using TWRP. Then fast booted - flashed this one, followed by the recovery-e-1.6-s- image.
Now im stuck at the boot loader.
I need to spend a bit of time (hopefully this weekend) on fixing this issue first. Luckily, I still can adb fastboot the phone.

Many thanks for your help and sharing your experience with the Zenfone 8!

I finally managed fixing the phone and applying the /E OS v1.7 sake successfully.

Here is what I did the get it working:

• First updated and reverted all the stuff that I did by applying the Android 12 Full Firmware from the beta site in fastboot mode. (a real life saver)

• Then updated with with offline installation method to latest Asus Android v12, by dragging the zip file in to the phone home root folder location.

• Fastboot and flashed your provided vendor_boot.img. (I tried with two current older versions from LineageOS, but got the same ‘denying OTA because it’s SPL downgrade’ errors)

• Fastboot and flashed recovery-e-1.7-s-20230111250406-dev-sake.im

• Then sideloading the e-1.7-s-20230111250406-dev-sake.zip, and accepted the ‘Signature verification failed’

• Rebooted done!

Only question that remains, why is /E foundation not retaining working vendor images on their server?

2 Likes

Hi @demux ,
Can you please give more details about the process please?
I received my Zenfone 8 under Android 13.
I didn’t saw your post before start Installation guide (Install /e/OS on a ASUS ZenFone 8 - “sake”)
And now, I’m blocked because eOS1.7S is considered as a downgrade…
Which vendor_boot.img do you use ?
Big tanks in advance !

I finally managed to install eOS-1.7 :smiley: :partying_face:
I first installed TRW instead of eOS recovery img.
I managed to flash eOS-1.7 with error messages but it worked and I was able to boot correctly.
I then redid the installation via the recovery of eOS to be sure not to have problems for future updates.
The installation went well without any error message.

2 Likes

ok great to hear, that you might found an easier way of installing it with TWRP. I did not try it this way.
Meanwhile, I’ve installed TWRP at recovery partition, I what to perform backups this way.