Attempting to upgrade Terracube 2e from version 1.0 to 1.1 (2020 model)

If you have /e/ installed, you should use the “recovery-e”

Already tried support with their response being: “wait a little longer” but that was before the GitLab entry, so I should probably try again.

I just contacted helpdesk again, requesting sideload/flashing instructions to fix the problem, but I’m not holding my breath - a gitlab user requested the same on gitlab and nothing has been posted there in the 4 weeks since the problem was identified, and the only thing that has happened with the bug is some administrative shuffling/classification. Still Priority 2.

I have /e/ installed (it’s a Murena phone), I have installed /e/ myself on earlier phones (so I know I have the skills), but I still want them to post clear instructions:
1 - because this is to fix a problem, not a normal install, so I want to be sure it’s done correctly.
2 - honestly, I think Murena needs to take some responsibility for this. I don’t want this to be on me if it goes sideways.

The second point is (I’m guessing) why they’ve not put anything out, they don’t want responsibility for this (and to be fair, it’s probably not their fault). But as a purchaser of one of their very few phones that they actually sell, I’m still feeling abandoned. My phone still works, but will occasionally have little glitches of the sort that have been solved in the past by updates, so I’m left wondering.

1 Like

It feels very reasonable to ask on the Gitlab for specific instructions to overcome this issue.

In adding to the post please give the full build details of your build including stable / dev build as revealed by

Settings > About phone > Android version > /e/OS version > Long press to copy to clipboard.

Perhaps also worth stating the version shown on /e/ Recovery.

It looks like a workaround fix is in the works. They will send out SD cards and detailed instructions. @alexis, since you seem to be in charge of this, I wanted to volunteer to help. I have installed /e/ on other phones before and would be happy to troubleshoot the instruction package using my phone, if you would like another set of eyes/hands.

1 Like

@Knuckles We have indeed identified the issue and have a fix.

Option 1: We can share the instructions if you know how to update via sideload.

Option 2: We can share the instructions to update via SD card or send you a SD card.

Let us know.

Best regards.

Alexis

Yes I can do side load. Please send instructions. I will do not soon but will do. Thanks so much.

I will also do side load, thanks, unless you’d like me to troubleshoot the SD card method.

Hi Alexis, I also just noticed that v1.5 has been posted on the updates page for 2e, and that it has appeared as a download option in my OTA updater (screenshot below). Is it recommended that we try this, or should we wait for sideload instructions?
[edit] - Ah, I think it was automatically included in the updates for all phones, then taken down. It’s no longer there, which I interpret as /e/ not endorsing its use.

@ecs @Knuckles

Here is the process you can apply:

Requirements

• A backup of your phone’s important data on an external storage device (optional, but recommended).
  • A phone with at least 50% charge.
  • A computer with adb installed. How to setup adb?
  • A functional data cable to connect your phone to your computer (A charging only cable won’t work).
  • Download all the files mentioned in the download section.

Downloads

Updating /e/ via recovery

1. Download the OTA with the hotfix (See downloads section).

2. Reboot into recovery mode:

• With the device powered off, long press the Power button and Volume up button together, until a text menu appears on the screen.
    • In this menu, the Volume up button is used to navigate through the options and the Volume down button is used to confirm a selected option. The selected option is indicated by an arrow <<==.
    • Select Recovery Mode using the Volume up button, then use Volume down to confirm the choice.
  3. Sideload the /e/ .zip package:

• On your phone, select “Apply Update”, then “Apply from ADB” to begin sideload.
    • On your computer, sideload the package using: adb sideload <path to OTA zip file>.

NOTE: Normally, adb will report Total xfer: 1.00x, but in some cases, even if the process succeeds the output will stop at 47% and report adb: failed to read command: Success. In some cases, it will report adb: failed to read command: No error or adb: failed to read command: Undefined error: 0 which is also fine.

4. Once you have installed everything successfully, click the back arrow in the top left of the screen or swipe back as the android gesture, then select “Reboot system now”.

Thanks.

2 Likes

It worked great, thanks. The instructions were good for someone who’s done it before – here are some ideas for additional information you may want to include:

• I think it would be good to have examples/recommendations for where to put the update file so that it’s easy to point to in the sideload command (I just used the Download folder in my Linux laptop, ~/Downloads
  • You should probably mention that it takes a bit longer than a normal upload, and it’s more difficult to monitor progress. Mine “hung” at 47% as mentioned, but it ran for at least 5 more minutes before completing without error. I had experienced this before, so I knew to just go have a beer, but this is not obvious.

Thanks again, great work! If I understand the hotfix, it should allow OTA updates for all later updates, correct?

1 Like

hi @ecs , you will receive proper updates via OTA going forward.

alexis,

I’m new at this so I need to know, do I need to unzip the files first, or will the side load do this automatically?

Thanks,

harry

UPDATE: Not new to Linux, but to ADB. To answer my own question, no, I did not need to unzip the OTA file. I was relieved to find that the install worked flawlessly.

I installed this file: e-1.5-q-20221028230220-stable-2e.zip, saved to my DOWNLOAD directory.
Once I got ADB started, it was downhill from there. I did have to use a USB-A to USB-C cable to get a good connection.

I observed at 47% these messages on the Teracube:
“Patching product image unconditionally…”
“Patching vendor image unconditionally…”
“Patching system image unconditionally…”

A few more messages, then it stopped. I did not see any back arrow, but I hit the power button and it rebooted to the new update, 1.5. It all looks good and I did not lose any data, nor did I have time to crack open a beer.

Thanks to all for the above instructions.

Harry

1 Like

Hi @HMartin happy to read that the update worked! You can still crack open a beer to celebrate :rofl:

beer

My effort to do this update failed with the recovery screen up. The only thing that worked on the recovery screen was reboot to the recovery screen.
After much floundering around over several days I finally succeeded with a fresh install of /e/.
I discovered the install instructions for the stock ROM: at [[Teracube 2e] Instructions to Install Factory Software and to Reset - #5 by Sharad - Guides - Teracube Community] This worked on the first try and every try.

I was then able to use the instructions for the /e/ install: [Install /e/OS on a Teracube Teracube 2e (2020) - “2e”]

I did this on a Thinkpad T580 with a fresh install of Kubuntu 22.04 and fresh download of the platform-tools. This was successful on the first attempt.

I hope this helps someone else that may be floundering as I was.

I think I have found what is wrong with the Teracube updates by OTA.
In fact, the updates work with the computer (with ADB) because the image is not the same.

For example, the wiki tutorial (Steps to Update Teracube 2e using ADB) shows a link to download a version 1.5 file. This one is called ‘e-1.5-q-20221028230220-stable-2e.zip’.

By using the FTP website in order to find the same file, we realize that it is not present on the HTML page. Instead, another file with the same name and prefixed with ‘IMG_’ is available.

By checking more precisely, the two files are not the same size.
Moreover, the file with the prefix ‘IMG_’ does not install with the ADB sideload.
Finally, the size of this file corresponds to the size of the file of the OTA update.

Maybe someone from the team (@alexis) can verify this assumption.
For reference, the link to download the image that worked
https://ota.ecloud.global/builds/full/stable/2e/e-1.5-q-20221028230220-stable-2e.zip

1 Like

Hello folks,
I have T2e first batch (2020) purchased from the Teracube company (not from the e-foundation) and manually installed /e/ myself about a year ago. Got up to the 1.0 update (OTA) in May '22 and stayed there due to the update issue on this device. Some of the OTA updates after 1.0 did show up from time-to-time during the fall '22, but then quickly disappeared in a day or two. So I am still on 1.0 (did not do the manual procedure described here yet).
However, an OTA update 1.7 (dated January 10) showed up like 5 days ago and has not gone away since.
Can somebody in the know from /e/ confirm/deny that this update can be applied to the first batch T2e with 1.0 /e/os, i.e. the update issue of the T2e first batch has been resolved with 1.7?

UB

p.s.: if the answer is “deny”, the the situation is even worse than before, since the folks at /e/ responsible for updates not only did not do anything about it, but even forgot that this issue exists at all for these devices. I am of course aware of the sideload via adb described here, but I guess I don’t have to mention that it does not qualify as an option for the average user which supposed to be the target audience here.

Hi, found this because I had the same questions. I didn’t realize there was a way to do it yourself, until finding this thread. I’m still stuck on 1.0 and would like to update, but don’t have experience with sideloading and and don’t want to make things worse, by doing something wrong.

I did bought my Teracube with /e/ installed for that reason and finding this thread reminded me that I got an email from them in December saying they would mail you an SD card so you can update it. I filled out the form to have it mailed to me, but it never came and I forgot about it until this latest update notification.
I sent them an email and now am keeping my fingers crossed that they send me the SD card with the update and I can get updates on my phone again.