Aurora Store - don't install v4.0.2 update

There is a problem with geo-restricted apps in v4 see this post

Hi
If you have installed Aurora Store from F-Droid, you may see that a new version (4.0.2 Added on 24/03/2021) is available and recommended by F-Droid. As I said in another thread:

I really don’t understand why F-Droid is recommending this update when, in my experience it just doesn’t work when it comes to searching for apps, but you might want to tell F-droid to ignore all updates and stick with version 3.2.9 for the foreseeable future. If you have F-Droid set to automatically install updates, then you may want to do this pretty soon :slight_smile:

At the moment, /e/'s Apps store is still offering v3.2.9, and I hope they don’t plan to change to the new version.

3 Likes

I have the version 4.02, and it works well for me.

Yes. but it won’t get geo-restricted apps.If you don’t need them you’re OK. I’ll change the subject of this thread.

what are “geo-restricted” apps?

Apps that are only availabe to users in a specific country, e.g. a lot of banking apps. In my case it was a UK golf app, and the UK NHS COvis Tracking app

Check the spoof manager in the menu. I’m in Germany and I can see the NHS App, because my language is set to English UK.
Is this what you are looking for?

Could be. I’ll check tomorrow. Thanks

I have English (United Kingdom) ticked there, but it’s still not in the search results. It was visible i the search suggestions, but it juts disappeared (maybe because I’ve been making a nuisance of myself in the official support Telegram channel)

Could you please provide us with the app’s full names (i.e. com.android.myapp), so some could check from their countries using different languages ?

Apps I could not find include

• co.uk.Nationwide.Mobile UK Banking app
  • uk.nhs.covid19.production UK NHS Covid Tracking app
  • golf.playmore.caddy - UK Golf app, to book start times at the golf course where I play

I couldn’t get your apps by search, either :frowning:
Tried US English, meta (!?), French, Irish, …

But I can confirm that the banking app (didn’t try others, but should give the same result) can be downloaded by AS4 from a Play-Store link, using /e/ Browser :slight_smile:
I also succeeded updating one of my app, not found by search.

Thanks for trying. From what I’ve seen in the Telegram channel (where I was asked to leave because ‘negativity’ :slight_smile: ) I didn’t expect it to work, but worth a try.

I will be interested to see whether, once you’ve installed via a browser link to Play Store, AS will pick up future updates. I will go that way shortly.

First I’m going to try a workaround where you use a VPN to do the anonymous login from a specified locale. I’m only dojng that because I’m curious: I don’t think it would be a feasible workaround for most /e/ users.

Thanks again

I found a small workaround for the bad search (which may be obvious for some, and it won’t work for all apps).

Lately I also got the update to Aurora Store 4 and had to install an app that’s solely available via Google Play. I just couldn’t find it in the Aurora Store. There are different variants of this app which were shown in the results, but the one I wanted wasn’t showing (it’s a money transfer app and every bank has an own variant). I even checked the ID of the app on my other phone and typed this into the search, but no dice. A lot of variants where shown, just not the one I was looking for. And mind you, I tiped the full name of the variant.

So I went to the website of the developer, searched for the store link (The *Get it now on Google Play" style button) which brought me to the Google Play page of the app.
I then opened it in the system app via the browser menu (using Firefox). I selected Aurora Store as app and found myself on the page for the desired app in the Aurora Store and was able to install.

A second App I needed was found directly and installed just fine, so sometimes it’s just working as desired.

Yes, this is an intentional privacy feature, not a bug, in Aurora Store v4. See here for their explanation: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/app-4-4-aurora-store-an-unofficial-open-source-play-store-client-march-20-2021.3739733/page-77#post-84726069

Due to popular demand, the developers implemented a way, disabled by default, to reduce anonymity and restore the old functionality of being able to get geo-restricted apps: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/app-4-4-aurora-store-an-unofficial-open-source-play-store-client-march-20-2021.3739733/page-78#post-84739245

2 Likes

Anybody reading along here, please mind the reference to the other topic in the opening post and see Aurora Store, geo-restricted apps, and anonymous logins, too.