Automate Car Dashboard needs Google search?

I’m not sure if this counts as an Applications query, so apologies if this is in the wrong thread.

Hi all, I’ve installed e os on my galaxy S9+ and I’m looking for a replacement for Android Auto (to run on the phone, not “cast” to a built-in screen).

I’ve installed Automate Car Dashboard, but there’s a problem: I can’t search for a destination. As soon as I start typing in the search box, the message “powered by Google” pops up. I can type as much as I like, and I get a haptic response when I press the “Search” magnifying glass, but nothing further happens. It’s like it’s trying to access Google but can’t?

ISTR there’s a permission setting somewhere to allow an app to access Google servers, but I can’t find it. Any ideas?

Automate looks like a great app. Running the Nav part I see no search response either, all it is logging in logcat at that moment is “LocSvc_eng: Calling gnss_sv_status_cb” for finer location - but that can be specific to my device only that has a bad time locking satellites in GPS.

I think the App is silently erroring and not telling which service it is expecting to be present. Without source code you’d need the developers help to solve this. As the last update to the app was almost 2 years ago I see no incentive sadly, but you can always ask.

Hello.
Couln’t this be - at least partly - related to GPS no more working on S9+ for some apps since 1.2 (#5984) · Issues · e / Backlog · GitLab ?

OK, thanks for the reply. I’m sorry I didn’t reply earlier, but I didn’t get a notification.

OK, thanks for the reply. I’m sorry I didn’t reply earlier, but I didn’t get a notification.

I checked out the link but the only part I understood was the “turn off fake location”. I tried, but it didn’t make any difference.

you could ask the developer if there is a build that can be more verbose when failing at the search prompt or if they can tell what component is asked for at that interaction