Automatically cancel silence

I often get bombarded with cold calls, turn my phone to silent, forget to reset it and miss an important call. Could we have an option to turn off silence after a user selectable set period?

The option is already there ā€¦ (Edit: Itā€™s not, itā€™s something else, see further below.)

Android 12: Settings - Notifications - Do Not Disturb - Duration for Quick Settings

Android 11: Settings - Apps and notifications - Notifications - Advanced - Do Not Disturb - Advanced - Duration for Quick Settings

Unfortunately my e/OS (Samsung S9) is Android 10. Missed an important call today.

Have you had a look around in the settings? Iā€™m pretty sure this was there before, but I can only check Android 11 and 12 at the moment.

Search for ā€œdo notā€ in the settings, this should point you to wherever the Do Not Disturb settings are, or just long-tap the Do Not Disturb button in the quick settings menu to get there.
According to https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/do-not-disturb-mode-in-android/ from there in Android 10 it would simply be ā€œDurationā€.

1 Like

Would not have been too much trouble to follow the advice given until you see what matches on A10.
Same as A11 but the last part is ā€˜Default durationā€™.

1 Like

No duration that I can see.

On 1.10-beta-q-20230329274394-dev-a3xelte I see

Found from

2 Likes

Thanks, sorry I didnā€™t realise switching to silent was activating do not disturb, I thought it was a separate function.

I use my work phone primarily for email, hate calls, as when there is a future problem, its a he said, she said situation. Emails are great, there is an audit trail of what was said. But unfortunately a supplier called me to say he had arrived and my phone was on silent. So I missed him. Thanks for the help.

Does not work for me. I set duration to 15 mins. When I silence my phone by using power + up, 20 mins later, the phone is still silent. I tried powering off and on phone. 20 minutes + after selecting silence and phone is still on Silence. Disappointed.

OK so Power + Volume Up seems to be something different ! This cuts the bell on my Samsung !

Perhaps ā€œDo not disturbā€ is more convenient. (I hate it when I find the bell is off :slightly_frowning_face: )

1 Like

Yes, I just now understood this :bulb: . (That took a while. Thanks go to this article.)

This is ā€œPrevent ringingā€ ā€¦ I never used this before and have it disabled either by default or because I donā€™t want accidental button pressing to do anything like this.

Itā€™s configured in Settings - System - Gestures - Prevent ringing, or Settings - Sound - Shortcut to prevent ringing (At least in Android 12). No option to bounce back from it automatically, though, so the feature proposal stands.

I guess Google developers only use Do Not Disturb like we do, else they should have felt the need to improve this in the Android base already.
I would forget having this on every single time.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s the problem, I forget.

I have really noisy ring and notifications, that are set to repeat. Great so I donā€™t miss anything, but if I am with a client or doing something I need to concentrate on, ignore cold call etc, I have the muscle memory to instantly silence. But I forget to reset.

Glad it was a different feature to do not disturb, and I wasnā€™t going mad!

Really appreciate if the feature to ā€œreset No Ring after a set periodā€ is added.

Thanks all.