Awful location with MLS backend

Red dots: location reported by MLS
Green dots: my actual location according to GPS

Any idea how can this be improved? I keep running Mozilla Stumbler, hoping that my feedback can improve results in my area, but to no avail :frowning:

You may have to install a few more backends to your location thing. Theyā€™ll, however, run off cell towers and wifi.

Some create a local backup of places.
Hereā€™s one, it will build from where you travel and improve from there https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.fitchfamily.android.dejavu/

Searching for NLP on f-droid will get you a few more. Some download databases and some tap into databases like Apples wifi locations.

edit:
Once youā€™ve downloaded them, youā€™ll hve to enter microg and then unifiednlp settings and then configure location backends to enable what you wish.

Thisā€™ll improve the accuracy or rather, how quickly your location is resolved.

Calculating positions from the known location of WiFi networks and mobile network cell towers only goes so far.

In your screenshot:
How far away are the red dots from the green dots approximately?
And is there a geographical reason for no red dots being ā€œon the other sideā€? Water? Mountain? Forest?

Thanks. Iā€™ve tried DejaVu before. It looks promising but unfortunately it has some stability issues. Right now I use MLS along with openbmap/Radiocells & Wifi location service (org.fitchfamily.android.wifi_backend) and still donā€™t get accurate results (itā€™s off by 70 meters).

Is Apple backend much better? Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s worth a small sacrifice in privacy (itā€™s not as creepy as full-blown google location service linked to google account, but still).

Calculating positions from the known location of WiFi networks and mobile network cell towers only goes so far.

Yes, but I remember it was much better back with google. I wonder how they manage it, are they getting feedback from each and every phone? I seem to recall you had to explicitly check a permission box for them to use data in that way.

How far away are the red dots from the green dots approximately?

Maybe 50m - 100m.

And is there a geographical reason for no red dots being ā€œon the other sideā€? Water? Mountain? Forest?

Nope, itā€™s in the middle of the street.

1 Like