Backup with eRecovery?

Hi

The GS290 from /e/ ist pre-installed with eRecovery. How do I do an Backup and Recovery with eRecovery. In the eRecovery Menu I found no Backup and Recovery possibility?

the current way to go about it is to use TWRP backups until Seedvault (needs Android 10 APIs) integration is complete. Checkout this HOWTO and comments:

The gitlab epic you want to subscribe to is #31. Currently it looks like being postponed to after e-0.17. As Lineage has Seedvault integration from 18.1 up this might reignite efforts in /e/ when rebasing devices to Android 11

1 Like

Thnaks tcecyk

I’m aware that TWRP is the way to go for a Backup. The problen is, on the Gigaset GS290 Smartphones which my Client bought via /e/-shop is eRecovery (eRecovery Testing!) installed instead of TWRP . As far as I know there is no offical TWRP for GS290. And I see no obvious Backup and Restore functionality in eRecovery (yet?).

I want to Backup a system inclusive settings, apps etc, to wich I can reset the phones anytime. But how can I do that with eRecover instead of TWRP?

sorry, I didn’t know the GS290 has no official twrp. device_gigaset_gs290-twrp looks like a base to start from if you want to try building your own.

if you follow @aibd link in the same backup question of a gs290 user, there is an unofficial twrp build another click ahead GS290 full backup/recovery

(I wasn’t aware of the tags before, https://community.e.foundation/tag/gs290 should help you narrow down searches)

How do I do an Backup and Recovery with eRecovery.

I gave the adb idea a go to address your initial question.

The following restore procedure worked with a Moto G4 Play “harpia” and full disk encryption. It’s not an A/B partitioned device nor does it use file based encryption as current devices do. But I can’t think of a reason why this shouldn’t work with the MTK device too.

(as the FDE key is also hardware derived, very likely this will not work for the userdata partition across the same models if you want to migrate instead of restore.)

Activate adb in /e/ recovery Advanced Menu and use a client

adb shell
ls -l /dev/block/by-name
# note down links
adb pull /dev/block/by-name/system system.img
adb pull /dev/block/by-name/userdata userdata.img
... more partitions
# restore userdata (or system) again
adb push system.img /dev/block/mmcblk0p39
adb push userdata.img /dev/block/mmcblk0p41

Pushing on /dev/block/by-name links will not work and run aground a No space left on device message as soon as the tmpfs size is reached. I needed to address the emmc partitions directly.

(Aside: the adb backup command itself is only useful with apps that allow in their manifest file to be backed up, and too Google planned to deprecate the command for a long time.)

2 Likes

Hi @tcecyk thanks a lot for all your research and links.

I will try the adb pull/push way in the next few days.
Yes would like to migrate, but backup/restore on the same phone is a good start.

Thanks.