Being able to use our own domain for email and nextcloud

To beat Google and Purism, it would be nice to offer to use our own domain on your services.

3 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the back end for the /e/ OS Apps is “just” a nextcloud instance which should mean you can easily swap it out for your own nextcloud instance. Is that what you mean?

/e/ Cloud is not “just” a NextCloud instance.
It also comes with a full email system, that makes all the difference when it comes to DNS domains :wink:

@Scytale of course I could easily reBuild those services with MailCow and Cloudron, just to give 2 examples. But I thought I could be easy money and open the services to a new categories of persons (entrepreneurs, small business, …) which basically only have the choice between Office 365 or Google Workspace. I guest I’ll build my own business and target this market.

I just created a “free” account, on the “e.email” domain. I can see that I can purchase more space (for my individual account, I guess), but nothing about how to manage organisations.

I would love to migrate my own domain from being used with GMail to ecloud, so that I could use the full ecloud suite, instead of the Google suite, on my own domain, without having to host it myself. I believe that is what JOduMonT meant, as well.

Some search engine result provided me a preview of

You can now manage and host your email and drive for your family or business, using a single identity on your own custom domain

which linked to the main ecloud web site. Alas, I have been unable to find ANY mention of how to use (and pay for) the ecloud suite with my own domain name.

1 Like

You will need your own instance of /e/ Cloud to use your own DNS domain.
Unfortunately /e/ is not able to provide IaaS, so you’ll have to install it yourself.

Ok, thank you for the straight answer. :neutral_face: :ok_hand:

I was in a hurry this morning, forgot to mention :

• it can be cheap (less than 10 €/$ a month)
  • /e/ team provide us with guided setup & upgrade
    Plz let us know if you’re interested and want more details.

Indeed, to be able to bring your own domain for email hosting.
This is a service which would bring high value in /e/ services catalog.

1 Like