*bug* S9 SM-960F starlte battery drain since 1.17

Vendor name: Samsung
Device name: Galaxy S9 (SM-960F)
Device code name: starlte
Version of /e/OS or stock which existed previously: 1.17
Is the device rooted: Yes, rooted.

I am experiencing abnormal battery drain after updating from 1.16 to 1.17 and continuing now on version 1.18. The device currently loses around 5-6% per hour while idling with screen mostly off.

Prior to opening this topic, I conducted an analysis of all the apps currently installed, but could not blame any for being responsible for the drainage. What I do see instead is that ‘Android System’ and ‘Android OS’ are now showing up prominently among the list of top battery users. This was not the case before the issue.

This is supported by the data I am seeing in BBS. Especially, the alarms with ~25 wakeups per hour for ‘android’ and the processes for ‘system’ raise concern. On the other hand, CPU states and deep sleep are looking good to me.

Normal behaviour:
Before the issue, I had usually mobile data on (idling in background), wifi and location services turned on (this is to connect/disconnect automatically to my VPN when leaving my home wifi). On-demand (when in the car) I manually activate bluetooth. One full charge lasted me around 1.5 - 2 full days. With this issue, I have been struggling to get over a full working day with one charge, even if the device is currently not much in use and mostly laying around idling. Furthermore, I put the device into airplane mode before sleeping, so take into account that it is in that state for 6-9 hrs /day.

Update as per 01.01.2024:
Full battery charge hardly lasts 24hrs. Battery drains a lot quicker if the device is only connected to mobile network and no WIFI (~5-6% /hour). When connected to WIFI and mobile data connection turned of it is a bit less (~2-3% /hour).

Attached a collection of up-to-date screenshots of BBS:

I would highly appreciate if somebody may have a look into this. If you need additional information, let me know.

Thanks.

seems like Wifi is your issue, or whatever triggers to scan wifi networks.

I do dig into battery drain issues from time to time, but with the help of a PC and a docker image (battery-historian) that can graph wakeups and their intents over time. Much better than aggregate percentage stats by BBS. It’s used now by /e/ devs too, see a general epic on it - https://gitlab.e.foundation/groups/e/-/epics/318 (screenshot how it works down the page)

Thank you, I will have a look at this and get back here.