Can the Fairphone 5 use mobile data while you're on the phone?

I have a FP5 running /e/ OS and it seems like it can’t access the internet while I’m talking on the phone. Anyone know whether this is a limitation of the hardware? I’m trying to figure out whether the problem is the phone, the OS, my carrier, or something else.

Form what I understand, it looks like than on any phone, when your phone call is using the 1G-2G network capability of the SIM card, then we cannot use the 3G-4G/internet network capability at the same time.
In the SIM card options, you have the possibility to allow the potential second SIM card to be used as an internet source (3G/4G) while a phone call is keeping busy the first SIM card.

Though Fairphones with /e/ OS and most new phones with Android, now use as standard the voice over IP/LTE/WIfi for phone calls(VoLTE/VoWifi), meaning they use internet protocol through 3G-4G-5G or even wifi network to handle any phone call . In that case, I guess it should normally be possible to mix the traffic between a current phone call and some other internet data. Maybe try to make sure you have a good internet connection, why not with wifi ON and check the options available for your SIM card in the settings regardless of whether you have one or two cards.

1 Like

when your phone call is using the 1G-2G network capability of the SIM card, then we cannot use the 3G-4G/internet network capability at the same time.

This is exactly what it was! I just needed to toggle on “4G Calling,” which was deactivated by default for some reason. Thank you!!

1 Like

4G Calling aka VoLTE (Voice over LTE) needs the phone hardware supporting it, the mobile network provider supporting it as well as the plan the user has with the mobile network provider supporting it. It’s pretty common now that all this is the case, but it was not so long ago that this was a real question mark.

Sometimes users have weird issues with this feature, you might find some under the forum tag volte (there’s a dedicated tag for it, which already says something), so my guess would be that leaving this disabled by default would simply be the safe default.

1 Like

You are absolutely right. Actually the Fairphone with /e/ os is still one of the few phones for which the VoLTE proprietery driver/firmware is accessible to the /e/ OS or lineage developpers allowing this function to work AND to be updated with firmware updates that are coming with the OS updates. Other phones liek samsung phones unfortunately do not open their VoLTE VoWifi firmware/drivers and this prevent /e/ os to use those functions on those phones; which for example becomes critical in the US or in places where there is no telephone network and only wifi.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 180 days. New replies are no longer allowed.