Cannot boot to recovery anymore (after upgrade to Android 11?)

Hi,

I’m using /e/OS on my Samsung Galaxy S9 now for two years. I recently upgraded to Android 11 (/e/OS 1.15-r-20230915330631-stable-starlte). It all works fine, but since I want to change my battery and I’m not sure if that will work, I wanted to get a backup using TWRP in recovery mode.

I can boot in /e/ Recovery by pressing Home+Volume Up + Power. From here I select ‘Advanced’ → ‘Reboot to recovery’. Than I get a white screen with the information ‘Rebooting to recovery…’ then nothing happens.

I tried this three times now. In the beginning I only saw the information mentioned above. I shut the phone down by pressing Volume Down + Power and could start it normally again. But now in recovery it shows following info in the lower left corner “Install completed with status 3. Installation aborted.” I don’t know to which installation that refers.

Best
ffbb

Edit 1: I cannot use usb-cable-connection to my laptop since the usb entry on my phone is broken.
Edit 2: Using the TWRP App I cannot boot into recovery. I can press ‘Reboot Recovery’ but nothing happens.

Just pointers

• e-recovery is an alternative to TWRP.
  • TWRP app is something different, it is best avoided as it can lead to complications.
  • Even if you install Samsung S9 with TWRP, e-recovery will over write it – this can be toggled off – search settings for Update recovery.
  • I do not use e-recovery, but ‘Advanced’ → ‘Reboot to recovery’ is perhaps a “special case”.
  • TWRP FAQ has included warnings about encryption; Samsung devices are likely affected due to Proprietary encryption techniques.

To reinstall TWRP TWRP starlte you can just go back to the install instructions https://doc.e.foundation/devices/starlte/install and reinstall it with Heimdall. You should be able to do this without disturbance to your system, but best to back up essentials first.

Alternatively try a different backup method like described

Sorry this alternative method is apparently unsuitable for stable builds as rooted debugging is disallowed.

https://github.com/AndDiSa/android_backup_project/

https://xdaforums.com/t/tools-zips-scripts-android-backup-and-restore-tools-multiple-devices-platforms.4016617/.

Thank you for the quick reply!

• e-recovery is an alternative to TWRP.

Is there a way to create a Backup with erecovery?

T o reinstall TWRP TWRP starlte you can just go back to the install instructions https://doc.e.foundation/devices/starlte/install and reinstall it with Heimdall. You should be able to do this without disturbance to your system, but best to back up essentials first.

Since my usb doesn’t work anymore I think I cannot reinstall TWRP using heimdall.

Even if you install Samsung S9 with TWRP, e-recovery will over write it – this can be toggled off – search settings for Update recovery.

You mean using the setting on my switched on device in normal working mode? Can you tell me where to find this option? Searching in my Settings for “recovery” and “update” did not show the right results. Maybe it’s because I’m using the system in German.

No, not with e-recovery.

Sorry. I think you may try this. Take your SD card out and transfer TWRP recovery to the SD card. Then try to install the TWRP recovery using e-recovery > install > navigate to stored location. Edit What you will be trying to do is to install recovey.img to recovery partition; you may have to double check whether e-recovery can offer this precision. Check too also that your download provides recovery.img. Please ask again rather than perform random experiments !

If it is not found, it looks like Developer options must be enabled first. Settings > About phone > Scroll to Build number. Tap 7 times rapidly on Build number > Enable Developer options.

In English I see Settings > System > Developer options > Update recovery

1 Like

you need to use (create) a flashable twrp.ZIP as recovery-e don’t manage .IMG files…

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.