Can't install e/OS on Samsung Galaxy A52 with adb

Steps to reproduce Flash custom recovery Try to flash e/os ROM using adb sideload e-1.20-t-20240221382228-dev-a52q.zip

What is the current behavior? Installation is aborted after about 40% On Linux I get Total xfer: 1.00x On the phone I get:

ERROR: this package requires Android 13 based firmware, Please upgrade firmware and retry!

ERROR: recovery: Error in /sideload/package.zip (status 1)

Install completed with status 1 Installation aborted

Hi @ibahnasy welcome to the /e/ forum.

The install page, https://doc.e.foundation/devices/a52q/install, includes the following.

Tip: Before installing /e/OS on the Samsung Galaxy A52 4G a52q for the first time, install the latest stock OS version 13 build on the device.

Your:

ERROR: this package requires Android 13 based firmware, Please upgrade firmware and retry!

seems to be saying that your phone was not fully updated before you started the /e/OS install.

If you decided to go back to Samsung Stock ROM to achieve this, there is this support topic: https://doc.e.foundation/pages/revert_samsung_to_stock_on_windows.

This link points to other sources of Stock ROM

1 Like

I see, but now I was able install an older version of e/os 1.17, it’s not possible now to update to the latest e/os without flashing the stock rom first?

I am assuming that this is a new situation since your OP.

does not define your build.

If you have installed e-1.17-s-20231110351092-dev-a52q.zip and you are confident that it runs fine (I suggest test for 24 hours) and that you were on latest Android 12 (S) before you started …

… then you could experiment with Upgrading your Android 12 (S) /e/OS to Android 13 (T) /e/OS.

For best results I recommend that you go to Settings > System > Advanced >Developer options > Update recovery. Check that this is set to allow.

No developer options

Settings > About phone > Build number … tap rapidly 7 times on Build number to allow developer options.

Now the Upgrade method is simply to adb sideload the latest T build. (This is expected to work because the T builds contain certain vendor parts to allow /e/OS upgrade from S → T.)

The path “ettings > System > Advanced >Developer options > Update recovery” doesn’t exist.
Even under the right “Developer Options” path, there is no option “Update Recovery”.

Also when I try to boot in to the download mode, I get:
partition vbmeta
Reason vbmeta: Error verifying vbmeta image:

In the case of the Samsung Galaxy A52 4G ( a52q ) [ Models Supported: SM-A525F, SM-A525M, SM-A525F/DS, SM-A525M/DS ], the /e/ installation instructionS are very precise. If you follow them, nothing should stand in the way of a successful installation of the latest /e/OS-T V1.20.

/e/OS-T (A13) requires Samsung Stock Android 13 (download for example here) as a base (By the way: LineageOS 21.0 (A14) requires Samsung Stock A14 as a base).

The next two points concern the preparation of the files vbmeta + recovery. Once these two files have been flashed, the /e/OS-T V1.20 can be installed using the custom recovery.

This has been observed before … the option is expected to exist also in Settings > System updates > top right 3 dot menu > Preferences.

As indicated by @Xxpsilon the install page is written as for Android T, but to throw a little light on why you are seeing this https://xdaforums.com/t/stuck-in-download-mode-error-verifying-vbmeta-image.4519569/.

I have to add that I am not recommending the “experimental route”; ensuring that you have run the manufacturers Software Update before installing a Custom ROM is best practice.

When I try to flash the vbmeta.img file using Heimdall

/heimdall flash --vbmeta ~/Downloads/vbmeta.im
I get: ERROR: Partition "vbmeta" does not exist in the specified PIT

is must be :

heimdall flash --VBMETA ~/Downloads/vbmeta.img

I flashed the latest stock rom with android 14 and now tried to flash /e/os 1.20 but got:

E:failed to verify whole-file signature"
E:signature verification failed
E:error 21

However the md5sum of the .zip file is correct, any idea?

You need Android 13.

1 Like

Thanks for your help so far.

As per https://doc.e.foundation/devices/a52q/install is it better to install TWRP or the /e/os recovery ?

E-Recovery is “simplified” but it really does all you need to install and maintain the phone in normal use.

(TWRP (FAQ link) does have some more advanced features.)