Can't install open source apps

Hi,

Since my Fairphone 3 could not be upgraded OTA, I followed this thread to manually install the new version. It went much smoother than expected, and now I’m finally running a recent build. But I quickly realised that the App Lounge, though it allows me to install apps as anonymous user, does not allow me to install any Open source app. Every time I try to install one, it downloads it but then fails to install without message and simply shows “Retry”.

I checked the settings, and in Apps and notifications → Advanced → Special app access → Install unknown apps I noticed that App Lounge was set to “Not allowed”. I changed it to “Allowed”… but this did not help.

Is there another setting I’m missing?

/e/OS 1.5-20221028230215
Build number: e_FP3-user 11 RQ3A.211001.001 eng.root.20221028.150953 dev-keys
App Lounge version: 2.3.9

Just install F-Droid. Fewer bugs :slight_smile:

I thought about that too :slight_smile: Unfortunately F-Droid is also an “Open Source” app so not installable the “official way” :crazy_face: But I suppose I could use adb install or is there another way?

Facepalm!

There is. Navigate to https://f-droid.org/, click the Download button.
When the file has downloaded, click on it, and that should open an installer. You may have to give the Browser ‘Install apps’ permission

1 Like

This had bitten me as well, and these instructions worked, thanks a lot!