Can't unlock Samsung Galaxy S7 after update

I just updated my /e/os to 1.0 and now I can’t unlock it anymore. I can unlock my SIM however unlocking my screen using the PIN results in a 1-second black screen followed by the locked screen showing up again.

Is there a way to solve this?

Just a thought; you might check if the phone is now unexpectedly encrypted?

Settings > Security > Encryption and credentials

Good thought, however I can’t check this since my phone is locked, thus I can’t access the phone settings.

Another thought on the same avenue; are you able to boot into Recovery? I might assume you still had TWRP, but it might have been overwritten by an /e/ Recovery.

I am not very familiar with /e/ Recovery – maybe first thing to find out which recovery you have installed.

I don’t think others have reported unexpected data encryption on S7 but this group of threads shows the issue in the S9 OTA Upgrade: #ota-upgrade

Hi @aibd, you’re right, TWRP has indeed been overwritten by /e/ Recovery. Does this have any effect on the phone regarding being able to be locked or not?

This is something of a guess on my part.

One thing you could do is to contact helpdesk@e.email to see what the official advice is.

If you are ok with the prospect of losing your data, you could use /e/ Recovery to perform a Factory reset. You should be warned that this will wipe data.

I would hope this would return you to the First start wizard and a clean phone.

I can very much understand that you might well prefer to get better informed advice before doing this.

Worst case might be that you could have to reinstall /e/, so you might chose not to do this till you are out of options.

Hi @aibd,
I chose to factory reset the phone and now everything works again. Asides from reinstalling all the apps that’s okay for me.
Thanks for trying to help out here.
Best, taiBsu

1 Like