ChatGPT app does not work

I’d like to use the ChatGPT app with my phone, mostly because it has voice-features.
When I download the app and start it I get an endless loading screen.
Is there a fix on the horizon or anything I can do?
(I can login with firefox in the browser version, but there I have no microfone and typing on the phone is very complicated)

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/OS the deGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

2 Likes

Did you try to turn off “Advanced Privacy” for this app?

It may help.

I turned off all 3 options in advanced privacy. But still - I open the app, get a loading dot (openai animation) for like a second and then a generic spinner loading animation forever. I also reinstalled the app : same result.

1 Like

Not working on my phone either :frowning:

I’m having this issue too. I tried toggling off advanced privacy one feature at a time and still didn’t work.

Maybe try frontends like gptAssist or the like.

Has gptAssist voice features?

No idea. I don’t use such items (AI stuff). Just throwing out alternatives.
There’s another called Ollama I think.

If you just need voice recognition, there is Futo Voice Input on f-droid. It works as a keyboard and runs completely on your device. It’s open source and can be used without restrictions even if you don’t pay, but it technically costs a few dollars and supports development.

You can use the ChatGPT model (and a few others) for free in a semi privacy friendly way (data still ends up being sent to a server) using DuckDuckGo in a browser in text mode.

Of course you have to decide for yourself to which extent you want to trust OpenAI/ChatGPT.

I’ve tried this and it works, thanks!
ChatGPT works with with GPTassist:

https://f-droid.org/packages/org.woheller69.gptassist

Gptassist does nit work for me.
I think the problem is that cloudfare is blocked so they can not verify that i am human.

The DuckDuckGo solution works for me.
It would be good to know why everything else is not working?
Is there a hidden privacy feature in eos that blocks the browser access and the standalone apps? Given other privacy stealing services that do work on my phone, I doubt that.
Is it a limitation of the standard browser in eos that also affects the stand alone apps like gptAssist because they use that browser? This could be the case and the DuckDuckGo solution basically sends the information in a different way.
Does anyone know the real reason for this issue, even though there seems to be a couple of work-arounds?

I have the same issue too. I did try the f-droid option, but it’s basically the same as just going to the website because it doesn’t provide the voice features that are on the actual ChatGPT app. The dukduckgo option only provides ChatGPT 3.5, but I’m a paid subscriber and I’d like to be able to access the latest model. Pretty bummed that this doesn’t work. I’d really like to use the latest features on ChatGPT 4o on my Fairphone 4 when it’s finally released to the public. Hopefully there will be a fix before that happens.

there’s a microg entry on the app. It has a logcat from december’23, probably still applies

You’d want to follow this issue to see if any part of this gets implemented (even as stubs)