Copy/Paste specific text from sent messages

Hey,

in the message app you can’t decide, which specific text you want to cut. You can just copy the whole text or redirect the message. It would be great, if you could decide, which words and characters you wan’t to copy.

Thank you,
have a nice day,

F.

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

1 Like

In the Message app I find that I cannot edit an existing message in my Inbox, but I can copy the text and I can paste it into a new message to any recipient already in my contacts list.

In this text I now have all the edit options — type, copy, cut, paste, select, select all.

Thank you for your reply.
The way you described is possible, but not very comfortable.
For example: If you just want to copy a short part, e.g. a number or address you have to

1. copy the whole message
  2. mark the parts you want to copy and copy it
  3. copy it
  4. mark the whole message
  5. delete it
  6. insert the short part you wanted
  7. write the surrounding text

If you already started to write a message to someone and than decide to include some information of another message you even have to do the mentioned parts in another message or mark manually the parts of the message with the information you want not to share.

Thank you,
have a nice day,

F.

This behaviour is the same as in the upstream QKSMS app (from which /e/'s Message app is forked). It’s also the same in the LineageOS default message app. The best chance of getting it in /e/OS would be to propose it as a new feature in QKSMS. If it was implemented there, then it would eventually find it’s way into /e/OS.

I thnk that adding new functionally to the forked apps will be very low down the priority list for the /e/ developers (and for the managers who tell the developers what to do), when there are still so many issues to fix in existing functionality, and the porting to Android 12 still to do.

1 Like

I figure one could also have a standalone editor on hand. Copy and paste the parts, edit everything to taste. When satisfied, copy and paste to new message.

On my side, I agree that have to copy the whole message doesn’t answer everytime to what I want to do… Be able to copy only part of a message would be welcome