Critical need for HD Voice for ATT US /e/ users

Dedicated /e/ user in the US here. My carrier ATT announced it is shutting down its 3G network in February 2022. At first I thought nothing of it since my Samsung S9 SM-G960F is an LTE phone and would continue to work just fine, however that’s not the case because only HD Voice calls will work starting in February 2022.

Is there realistic hope that /e/ will support HD Voice (on the S9 in particular) in time for the changeover? If not I will have to reluctantly switch back to a conventional phone and I really hate to contemplate that depressing scenario.

Some recent discussion here regarding VoLTE which is what needs support. Its on the 2021 roadmap. I’m in the same boat… I am using a VoIP app (magicApp by magicJack) in the meantime but this is only a bandaid.

If you search “VoLTE” on the forum there is much discussion.

Not necessarily. As the linked discussion points out, Samsung is a special case because of its proprietary VoLTE/HDV implementation, as I understand it. If you do have to switch devices (that is, if /e/ is unable to eventually overcome that obstacle), you could get another device, one that doesn’t have that restriction, and install /e/OS on it. As long as the device would normally get VoLTE/HDV, it should work without regard to the installed version of Android, whether it’s /e/, Lineage, or “We’reEvil.” It’s not the OS, it’s the device.

@Manoj, please correct me if I’m wrong.

1 Like

What I’ve found on this subject:
[ROM][S9+/S9][OFFICIAL][NIGHTLIES] LineageOS 17.1 | XDA Forums

:point_down:

"* IMS services (VoLTE, VoWiFi, etc). Samsung has their own proprietary implementation. It is not really possible to easily port that to LineageOS." …and thus no fork to /e/ from LineageOS

1 Like

@Russ specs reveal VoLTE support FYI👇

https://esolutions.shop/shop/e-os-teracube-2e/

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.