[CUSTOM BUILD] Motorola Moto G (falcon)

I made an update for this device, enjoy :slight_smile: :

e-0.9-n-20200710-CUSTOM-falcon.zip
TWRP : https://dl.twrp.me/falcon/

Note : this is a custom build and not an unofficial build because the system partition is too small to have all the system apps in it (that’s why this device doesn’t receive official updates anymore).
Magic Earth, Pdf Viewer Plus and LibreOffice Viewer have been removed. Hopefully, you can easily download those apps thanks to the built-in /e/ Apps Installer. Search them and install them.
Browser has also been removed, you can find the .apk file next to the build.

The only difference is that they will be user apps instead of system apps.

Don’t forget to backup and share your experience, thanks :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks @Anonyme. I will give it a test on my old Falcon.

Thanks @Anonyme , I have tried to compile a version for my falcon myself, but I could not have a good roomservice.xml, and it gave me an error.
I will test your version and tell you how it works. :wink:

Actually it’s a version supported by LineageOS so the only thing you need in your roomservice is the vendor (TheMuppets) line. Everything else will be automatically downloaded from LineageOS github, and the necessary lines will automatically be added to the roomservice.

My first impressions after installing your build are good. It seems that everything works, wifi, bluetooth, gps, calls, data …

The last version I used of roomservice.xml I see that it is the same as yours, but I was trying to compile a build with pie :sweat_smile: That was my mistake.

1 Like

Nice!!! I’m new to e. I got stuck with the last official version of LOS from 2019. The last official e version is not really better. With this image I now have the security patch level June 2020.
Cool :))
I think it’s a lot of work for you, but would you build new versions from time to time? This would keep many beloved falcon devices alive.

Welcome in the community :slight_smile:

For your information, /e/ Nougat support will be dropped at the end of the year.

And the security patches are backported from Oreo, Pie and Android 10 security patches since the last security patch for Nougat from Google is October 2019.

Indeed it takes a lot of time to build for a lot of devices like I did and I’m not sure to be able to do it again.

Thanks for the advice.
I tried also an (old) unofficial pie LOS image before /e/ but I wasn’t excited. Pie seems to run quite lame on falcon. I don’t think it makes much sense to move to pie, even if there where regular official builds.

Thank you very much for your work regarding this falcon build. Did a clean install, some minor issues on first view

Pro

1. Apps is working on your build
  2. browser.apk not installable (not enaugh space), updated browser from
    https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/os/android_prebuilts_prebuiltapks/-/tree/master
    installs in userspace flawless
  3. microG needs update, replacing GmsCore.apk with twrp possible
  4. Good performance,

Cons

1. File Explorer has issue with downloads shortcut
  2. No Widevine (L2, L1) support, no HD playback in some popular apps
  3. No systemui tuner settings (i.e battery percentage on battery status symbol)

Battery: see Settings > Status bar > Battery

Thank you, yes I’m able to replace circle by %, but the percentage inside circle from system ui tuner is not supported, did not check other tuner settings. Not an issue (to me), info for users that want or need ui tuner. Other difference to cm build is the USB usage, if I attach a USB cable I normally need to select one usb support option, this does not show up, I need to open developer options, change the usb settings once (default set to MTP) to get access to flash