Daily tips to gain more privacy from Murena team

@nottolino Give a glance here : firefox multi account container addon

There are some other container addon for firefox ,(facebook container for instance).

3 Likes

This is true. It all depends on how badly one wants it, and whether one will be motivated to seek out a tutorial online. :slight_smile:

I recommend https://github.com/m66b/XPrivacyLua :+1:

3 Likes

@taurus That’s a lot of friction for a lot of people, I imagine (waste of man-power/man-hours); we don’t have to let them stay weak if a motivated crew can be gathered to inspire then empower them, lower the barriers to entry. I’m throwing my hat in the ring as one willing to spread the word, but I expect the word to be dumbed down, which is not my area of expertise… Maybe someone else can help there?

As am example, this morning I thought I had updated my Motorola to /e/-19 just fine, then a few (thankfully) hours later I’m having to start all over.
This is just from my not having a great grasp of android and windows file systems/ architectures/ other? Let alone how they should interact (and this has been something I’ve done a s a light hobby for many years now.

Nice lead @vance! Looking into it once my phone calms down

1 Like

Some reading to make you want it even more:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/12/21/opinion/location-data-privacy-rights.html

1 Like

Thanks for that, didn’t knew! Good way to start with if you “have” to use Whatsapp and solve problems that may arise.

Use the shelter version from F-Droid if you need the File Shuttle feature. Play Store/Aurora version is missing that feature!

1 Like

I can highly recommend Posteo, a german E-Mail provider:

One mayor advantage for me is the (optionally) complete encryption of address book and calendar. Both I have synchronised with my Thunderbird and K9-Mail flawlessly via webDAV. The monthly charge of 1€ is not much regarding the supply.

What might also be worth a look is mail.de:
mail.de - Security, Reliability, Comfort

Another good Alternative to Signal is the Swiss messenger Threema: Threema - Secure and Private Messenger

Last, but not least I’d like to recommend Joplin, a powerful notes application with markdown Syntax and even a desktop client (Electron based). Joplin has the advantage of delivering the opportunity to end to end encrypt the whole notebook even on cloud platforms, that you don’t own and synchronize it via webDAV between several devices.

Take a look here: https://joplinapp.org/

7 Likes

Hi :blush: those tips are really nice :smiley: However what is good to do, when my phone is not on the supported list yet? Do you think that never login in on it to big tech like Google or Facebook is enough to protect my data? I have also turned off most of the Googly stuff on my Android (everything I could).

I would recommend The Complete Android Privacy & Security Guide: Your Best Protection! - YouTube

If you’re new to android privacy it’s a pretty good starting point and it’s easy to understand.

4 Likes

Not to use FB apps, i.e. WhatsApp, reduces the amount of personal data that Meta sucks from your phone. Same with Google. However, using the WWW will always expose you to data grabbing companies. And it is not hard for them to identify you e.g. using a “browser fingerprint”. You may use cookie blocker, ad blocker and so on to reduce tracking, but you can not eliminate the problem (every request from your browser discloses some bits of information about you which can be collected and add to your profile). Maybe by using elaborate technical means you could really hide your identity, but this surely is beyond the average user (like me).
So what it would really need is a better law (and law enforcement). Until then, use /e/, be careful what apps you install, and use privacy aware browser like Firefox or DuckDuckGo, or Tor.
Here is some reading to get even more motivated for that:
https://bigbrotherawards.de/en/2021/what-really-makes-me-angry-google

3 Likes

Thank you for your advices :heart: Currently I use Motorola phone where turning off almost all Googly stuff is quite easy, however my Samsung Tablet became a nightmare. When I bought it around two years ago I could “skip” logging to Google and currently it forces me to do so :cry: I’ve found no official custom rom for it so far :sob:

@Ana.117 If you can’t find your device here (Devices | LineageOS Wiki), you probably will find an inofficial build on XDA Developers (as I did for my Motorola One XT1941-4). Actually there are a crazy many different devices out there, with hundreds of new versions every year, so sadly there won’t be an officially maintained custom Rom for each one. However, older unmaintained builds may have considerable security flaws…

Until you can install a custom degoogled ROM:

1. Don’t associate your phone with a Google account. Skip all that Google setup.
  2. Disable as many Google apps and services as the phone allows, as well as some of the OEM apps.
  3. Get your apps from F-Droid or Aurora store, or download the .apk from a reputable source, using checksum to verify it hasn’t been tampered with.
  4. Install a tracker-blocker such as Blokada 5, TrackerControl, Netguard, etc., and select one or more of the pre-configured automatic blocklists.
  5. Don’t install any app that sends data to Google, Facebook, et al. Check the known trackers for any app in Aurora store or at Exodus Privacy website.
  6. Use a privacy-respecting browser, like Firefox, Fennec (a version of Firefox), or IceCat Mobile (which is essentially Firefox-ESR)[EDIT: See below.], and also install a couple of privacy extensions like NoScript, uBlock Origin, Privacy Badger, etc., which can prevent unwanted scripts from loading on websites. Never use Chrome.
  7. Use a privacy-respecting search engine in your browser(s): DuckDuckGo, Startpage, etc.
  8. Don’t use email services or messenger apps that abuse your privacy.
  9. Don’t sign in to privacy-abusing websites from your phone. (If you must, then do it through Shelter.)

That should get you most of the way there, but there will still be some Google services running in the background.

4 Likes

@Taurus Pretty good list! Can’t think of something missing as far as the average user (me) is concerned. Probably you should also mention app privileges and be suspicious there. Also turn off location services if not needed.
Using several phones for differen purposes may also help…

3 Likes

Have you tried looking in the F-Droid app store?

Sell it and buy a suitable one.

IceCat is extremely out of date and not secure.
Please don’t recommend it.
If you want Firefox on Android use Fennec F-Droid or Mull, both are available via F-Droid.
You can also see my browser comparison here: https://divestos.org/index.php?page=browsers

Disclaimer: Mull is my project and I also help maintain Fennec F-Droid. I also have a handful of commits in most WebView browsers. bias blah blah

Also fun fact: /e/ Browser based on Chromium 96 is currently vulnerable to 113 known security issues.

3 Likes

Have you raised them as issues in /e/'s gitlab? :wink:

It isn’t my responsibility to remind the /e/ team every time a new version of Chromium comes out.
These dates are planed far in advanced and publicly available: Chromium Dash

1 Like

Thanks for the heads-up. I’ve edited my post above.