Dark, flickering screen.. samsung s9

Hi,
On my samsung s9 the screen is suddenly totally dark, just the very top is visible…
As i increase the brightness, the dark part starts flickering into view…
As i increase more it becomes fully visible, but with a green tinge to it all… washed out look…
I read online that it is probably a software issue, with some suggestions to clear cash, go to recovery mode, or do a factory reset…
Will i lose the e/OS if i do that?!

Any suggestions how to solve this within the ‘e’ framework?

Thanks,

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

I have been experiencing a similar issue since nearly 2 years on my S9+ (don’t remember which version of e-os it was in spring 2021 though).
Similar in that, when the brightness is not precisely 0% or 100% (both work), the screen always comes after a moment (may be some minutes or more before it happens) to this green flickering with horizontal lines … making the screen nearly unreadable (top part quite clearer though).
But not totally the same as pushing the brightness to precisely 0% or 100% ALWAYS fixes the problem.
So, at night, I put it to 0%, and in clear day light, I put it to 100%, no other way found.

At first, I feared a hardware problem on this 2018 or 2019 old S9+ phone … but after 2 years … I’m no neither more frightened :slight_smile: nor convinced …

Thank you for your input…
The question remains in my mind… (Perhaps on a different forum??)

If this is an OS thing, is there a way to reset/ troubleshoot without a whole fresh install of ‘e’ ?!

(I just tried rebooting in safe mode and except messing up my keyboard was no help)

So far i tried rebooting into safe mode, no help.
And a soft reset (power button and volume down for 7 seconds), no help…

The “factory” in factory reset is misleading … factory reset will delete all data and revert the phone to your previously installed /e/OS version.

After S9 v2.0-s update the device faced display problems, I’ve noticed the problem during reboot. The display increases the brightness to extreme bright green/white or it turns black during the boot process. I’ve updated S9 to the last v2.1-s but the problem isn’t fixed, I wanted to try to rollback to original stock to proceed to new flash installation but in this condition it’s not easy to see what you’re doing on the device.

Anyway, a temporary fix that is working on my device:

• disable sim card pin (to avoid get locked out due to wrong input)
  • my device is encrypted and the password is required but I’ve more than 3 tentative
  • try to not run out of battery to avoid reboot
  • set automatic brightness mode ((A) on the the gear of brightness slide)
  • ambient display on (this seems to solve any screen problem) in: display – lock screen – ambient display set to (Always On)