Disable / remove Advanced Privacy

Hi guys,

I would like to disable (or remove) Advanced Privacy.
A ‘Force Stop’ does not terminate the process (at least foundation.e.advancedprivacy is still in the process list and uses CPU). Even if I disable foundation.e.advancedprivacy via adb, the process continues to run. In addition, the method via adb causes the system to be in a restart loop. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this?

Thank you!

Ah yes… I have /e/os 2.2 running on a Galaxy S10e

Did you try both methods, pm uninstall and pm disable-user?

Out of curiosity, may I ask why?

Thank you! pm uninstall was the right way. I didn’t think about uninstall because I just wanted to disable it. Now it seems to work! I suppose it’s ok that Advanced Privacy is still available in the settings, right? When I choose it, I just end up on the start screen again.

I just don’t need it. And after I disabled all three options (tracker, location and ip address) in the app and the process still used 2% CPU (by the way also in flight mode), I just wanted to disable it completely.

1 Like

Are you using any other tracker blocker like TrackerControl?

Talking about advanced privacy, i wanted to know if it was possible to have something similar on lineageOS using separating apps. What would be these apps ? I’ve seen Orbot for hiding the IP, but i don’t know what to use for the others options. For my part, advanced privacy is really useful.

I have advance privacy + Netguard as my setup, I’m quite happy with it.

1 Like

I also use ADAWAY (f-droid) where you can add lists of trackers to block.

1 Like

My question was towards @hansolo, since I was wondering why he doesn’t want AP tracker blocking

Hey @mihi trackers are not an issue for me and the apps I use

1 Like

Also I’ve seen from the /e/ Gitlab repo that it was possible to add advanced privacy on another lineage rom, but i’m not really sure about the commands i should use as you have to install it as a system app…

One would need to build it first !

It seems to start to build fine in Android studio, Android Studio Koala | 2024.1.1  |  Android Developers but as mentioned in your link

For local build
You can set them in local.properties

MAPBOX_KEY=<insert mapbox public key>
SENTRY_DSN=<insert sentry dsn>

These are commercial proprietary products. I got a trial token from SENTRY, but Mapbox required real name and address for billing before they would release a public key. T&C seemed to indicate that I would not be billed for a trial like this but I stopped at this point!

Build images

So advanced privacy is based on non-libre software ? I’ve seen that i can download the apk from the main pipeline. I thought that i could just use adb to push it in the system directory, add the signature and live my life… So is it possible to install it on lineage ? I love this /e/ feature and i’d like to add it on my lineage rom. I feel kinda naked without the tracker blocker…

It sounds like chinese for me, can anyone (@aibd or other) could explain me more clearly ?

Not really based on, I think, just using a “paid for” service. However I think what you linked here is intended for building and experimenting with on other systems.

… maybe, but I was just following up on what you did link. Without looking carefully at what you have seen, my understanding is that an /e/OS prebuilt AP .apk would not be transferable to a LineageOS system … unless one just builds /e/OS for the device.

The subject is beyond my knowledge to go much further.

Are you aware of https://trackercontrol.org/ that is a nice app and project, imho.

Strange as /e/OS is based on LOS. Thanks for the explanation @aibd ! I’m aware of that app, but it requires to use a vpn, so you can’t use a true vpn to hide your ip. Plus it doesn’t centralize fake location and orbot. Is there an advanced privacy similar app ? I’ve seen that it is a fork from an older project that is no longer maintened…
My goal is just to recreate a kind of advance privacy in lineage, using 3 differents apps or a centralized app…

First this is my “understanding” … one would need to experiment before “knowing”. My experimentation was for bacon at Android 11 (R). The “original” PrivacyCentral was built for Android 10 (Q) … so there will have been changes. Advanced Privacy is quite a large program so I believe it is quite deeply built into system.

Please try then you will have the experience.

Which ?

Which device ? Perhaps we can get you building /e/ for it.

@WillemR and me are currently working on it by trying to install it as a system app. But we’re having some issues…

In the e gitlab you can see that advanced privacy is a fork of the no longer existing privacy central app

It’s not about that. I’m a samsung user and most of the devices supported by LOS are supported by /e/ too. LOS is an OS that is not built attached to a foundation such as /e/. If i want to have lineagOS with microG, i’d like to be able to implement that particular function that reassure me. Or having an alternative that does the same with as much effectiveness.

This is where the app GitHub - LedgerProject/e_privacycentral_privacycentralapp was started by /e/ devs on the “incubator” organisation Ledger Project 📝 Documentation. It is recognisably the base of the same app we have now.