Do I keep all my setup upgrading to /e/ v1 from last 0.23 on a Fairphone 3?

I was curious and did the update on my Fairphone 2 and 3 … all went well, I didn’t see any spectacular downsides so far.

Edit: Others did (e.g. here), so if in doubt perhaps wait a bit and watch the forum, but that’s also true for any other update.

1 Like

… and I can confirm I just upgraded, and all functions and apps I tried up to now work flawlessly…

1 Like

Hi all,
i am using a Fairphone 3 with eOS V0.23 and since the launch of V1.0 i keep on searching for updates of eOS in the OS updater, which is located in the settings… And strangely i do not get an offer fpr updating to V1.0.
Does anyone have a clue why this can be the case, although other FP3s have received the offer for the 1.0 update already?
Thanks and greets!

What exactly does it say for you in Settings - About phone - Android version (tap on it) - /e/ version?

On the Fairphone 3/3+ there’s still 0.23-p (Android 9) around additionally to 0.23-q (10) or 0.23-r beta (11), and currently 1.0-p isn’t out yet it would seem.

2 Likes

It says 0.23-p. This is the reason. So, I will just wait a bit more until 1.0-p will be released. Thanks for your advice. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You may have a long wait: this week’s Development and Testing Updates post was i
updated to say

2 Likes

I don’t get it… are there really users of the same hardware (FP3 for instance), and some are on Android 9, others on Android 10, etc. but all running /e/OS… What the hell is that mess… I must be so ignorant of the harware/OS stuff on phones… but I would have expected that all /e/OS users with the same hardware would get the same OS provided they update at the same pace…

Plus the naming of all this + R and Q makes it utterly complex for the regular user… is there a diagram to illustrate that for bare humans ?

1 Like

I suppose one can choose the android version when flashing the first time. And then, while delta-upgrades within the same version don’t delete any of your settings, maybe switching to the next android version imposes a complete reflash? I say, ‘maybe’, I’m not sure.
Otherwise there certainly are cases when on is fully satisfied with one’s version and don’t wish to ‘follow the trend’, so indeed you find yourself with a population of /e/OSes based on three different android versions…

1 Like

Yes.
And at least until version 0.23 all of them got updates within the major Android version they run.

Provided they update. Which not everybody does.

Upgrading to a new major Android version is not supported by the OS updater on most /e/OS devices currently, this capability has to be added by developers with a lot of extra effort, because such upgrades are tricky to do in-place with user data etc. staying intact, so only a few devices so far offer this. Progress in that department can be tracked here … https://community.e.foundation/tag/development-updates.
Upgrading to a new major Android version on the Fairphone 3/3+ currently is still a manual process, by default including a data wipe.
Understandably not every user is excited about doing a manual upgrade. And as long as support with at least security updates continues on the old major Android version, there’s not much pressure to upgrade.

Yes, sadly.
Wikipedia has a list of Android versions and their names … https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history … and as can be seen, Google stopped giving “official” names to Android versions with Android 10.
Since according to my (limited) recollection Google over time tended to refer to the next major Android version with the next letter of the alphabet before release, and only revealed the corresponding full name upon release, everybody at least moderately involved or interested is so used to letters that “unofficially” in many places Android 10 gets referred to as Q, Android 11 as R, Android 12 as S, and let’s just see if it stops with Z :slight_smile: .

To make matters more complex, there are different /e/OS build types (also referred to as release channels) catering to different needs and target groups. They are explained here … https://doc.e.foundation/build-status.
Traditionally, the /e/OS devices bought from the e foundation have stable builds installed, users who install themselves get dev builds to use.
This is not set in stone anymore for a while now, however, depending on what the e foundation decides to make available for a device. On the Fairphone 3/3+ users installing themselves can choose stable or dev builds. Once decided, changing the build type will require a new install with a data wipe.

5 Likes

Thanks for the detailed explanations.

Is there some docs for /e/OS about such topics… I expect this to be a pretty FAQ… although it seems complex enough to require multiple sources of sparse informations… and if the forums are the only ways to address these issues… hmmmm… we’re not there yet :-/

Back to the initial subject. So it’s not simple to backup my data, reflash and restore my data, to perform the “upgrade” from whatever “version” I installed once, to that very “version” customers of Murena buy these days (1.0) on the same hardware.

I’m probably too much a Linux user used to switching devices, and making smooth transitions, provided my $HOME is backed up, not having to consider which firmware or even which kernel and graphics drivers are actually running my laptop :-/

So “my data is my data”, but even if GAFAM’s can’t much snoop on it, it seems to be more “my data is my phone’s [firmware/android version of any kind]'s data” :wink:

If you’re already on Android 11, it’s a simple OTA update.
If you’re already on Android 10, it’s a simple OTA update.
If you’re on Android 9, and if the e foundation doesn’t continue updating Android 9, you would need to upgrade to receive further updates.

3 Likes

Let me summarize/rephrase a bit:

Depending on the version displayed:

1 Like

As you use linux, you should try out Android Backup and Restore Tools project. I had some success with it, backing up spps and data from one version, then restoring to different versions and devices. It doesn’t do everything, but it is much better than having to reinstall everything from scratch. Some mire info on my experience with it in this post

5 Likes

@oberger Before using @petefoth tool, you may just try the (free) /e/ cloud, that is able to backup lots of things from the phone, as it is designed explicitly to place the google backups.
While a Linux user myself, I must say I am satisfied backing up contacts, accounts, documents etc. over there.
Indeed I even paid a bigger version of the ecloud just to suport them somehow…
(also : as ecloud is visibly based on an Nextcloud instance, any other nextcould of yours should offer the same capacity too)

1 Like

No. It is designed to sync some items (notes, calendar, contacts, some photos and files, though there are currently issues with file and photos). ecloud does not back up any user-installed apps, or their settings and data.

TWRP backup does do that, though on an ‘all or nothing’ basis. With many devices, restoring a backup from one Android version to a higher version (e.g. pie to Q, ir Q to R) has not worked. By all means try it, but you should have an alternative, fallback plan in case it fails.

The project I linked to (it’s not mine, I’m just a happy user :slight_smile: ) provides such sn alternative.

3 Likes

Is it mandatory to have a rooted phone, in order to backup it ?

Not for TWRP. For the tool I link to, the docs say the phone must be rooted, but it is sufficient to enable ‘Rooted debugging’ in developer options. The tool needs root access to mount, read, and write to the system partition on the phone via adb shell. Rooted debugging has sufficient access to allow that, even on sn unrooted phone

4 Likes

Yes, you got it, @petefoth. I was referring to the link.

Unfortunately “rooted debugging” is no longer there on stable devices running 1.0.

1 Like