Documentation for the new /e/OS FindMyDevice feature

The new FindMyDevice feature of /e/OS 3.0+ is very welcome. (I am running it on stock /e/OS 3.0.1 with a Fairphone 4.) That was one of the few features that I missed from the iPhone universe. Over time, I hope other FMD features โ€“ not just geolocation but, say, remote wiping โ€“ will be implemented.

I do have questions about this feature, however, and could find no documentation on this new service.

For instance:

  1. Can this feature be used in addition to the Android FMD app, or do they conflict in some way? I have tried the inbuilt service alone, and both at the same time โ€“ both with less than perfect results.
  2. If my geolocation results are off (mine show the phone 500 meters or more from its actual location with either FindMyDevice or the FMD app) is there likely a configuration issue on my phone?
  3. What are all the necessary settings on the phone for best accuracy of geolocation results?

Any advice is appreciated.

1 Like

Documentation on these new features are all in review state. We hope to publish them by next week. Have shared the feedback that release of feature and documentation should be in sync in future.

3 Likes

Manoj, I know writing documentation is a thankless task (Iโ€™ve written many thousands of pages myself) so โ€ฆ thanks to you and your staff for this excellent news!

3 Likes

I agree RE remote wiping, this would be very useful indeed

until it gets a doc entry, the git repo README has a light intro

https://community.e.foundation/t/find-my-device-not-sending-back-sms/70915/2?u=tcecyk

You can find the guide for Find my device here - Find my device

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.